Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #21 
KukaaKatchou

I didn't even boil the zucchini :) I also tried spinach but it made a bit of a mess. I don't think they will over eat ... I can try to get a shot of my Oto's little rounded bellies, but with all the plants in the tank now it will be difficult :)
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #22 
prodrumernate

oh that will be easier then.i can just cut thin slices,drop it down in my tank.and let him nibble on it a couple days.i just checked my oto.he is stuck to the glass wall.cant really tell if he is eating or not.but seems to be fine..i may have to clean off some of the algae by hand.as there is a lot.

i think ill try dropping a slice of zucchini in there and see if he goes for it :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #23 
ukandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
no problem :)

i knew some snails werent too bad on the eggs.i think its mostly mystery snails that lay outrages amount of eggs and spawn so quickly.but i wasnt sure what other types did and didnt..

what other fish do u have in the tank?u may not have to rehome them.just up the ph a little..though some finish may go in a panic.but doing it over time should be fine.kinda like having an ammonia spike.the fih would stress and die.but if its over time they will be fine.
At the moment i only have 2 Bettas 3 nerite snails and a lonely leopard cory because Jackie one of the Bettas decided to become a mass murderer overnight a few months back. I know he shouldnt be alone but I cant find any more right now. My old Betta took a shine to eating my neons! As for the PH its back at 7 due to a water change. The alomond leaf i use lowers it slightly so diluting it with water with none in sorted it.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #24 
prodrumernate

u can actually up the ph and not have to remove the snails.i did a little research on the cory.he can handle about 6-8ph.though i read on other sites 7.2 and even 7.5...1 site had it listed 6-8.

the snails would even do fine in 7-8..really as long as its above 7 they are fine.if u can get the ph to around 7.5...that will be fine for them.i listed it on here though several replies back..

"If you are having trouble keeping your PH high enough, you can add 1tsp of baking soda per 10 gallons with every water change. Just be sure the fish in your tank will tolerate the higher PH before you try this."

that will help adjust to a higher ph and at anytime it drops u can always do that and not worry about adding new water.my ph is at 7.6 all the time.so i could have a nail and it be fine.as long as i check it every so often to make ure no holes in the shells.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #25 
ukandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
u can actually up the ph and not have to remove the snails.i did a little research on the cory.he can handle about 6-8ph.though i read on other sites 7.2 and even 7.5...1 site had it listed 6-8.

the snails would even do fine in 7-8..really as long as its above 7 they are fine.if u can get the ph to around 7.5...that will be fine for them.i listed it on here though several replies back..

"If you are having trouble keeping your PH high enough, you can add 1tsp of baking soda per 10 gallons with every water change. Just be sure the fish in your tank will tolerate the higher PH before you try this."

that will help adjust to a higher ph and at anytime it drops u can always do that and not worry about adding new water.my ph is at 7.6 all the time.so i could have a nail and it be fine.as long as i check it every so often to make ure no holes in the shells.
I dont mess with my water except using IAL from time to time. The water around here is around PH7.1 so a water change will raise it around that when i stop using the IAL. The snails are going because of the eggs everywhere and me being lazy. The cory is a tough little fishy and is fine except for being alone. I rescued him along with my red Betta. Hes great for keeping the sand clean and turned over.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #26 
prodrumernate

oh got ya.either way the snails are going :) i do want to get some but im hesitant.7.1 is a good ph for the fish.i know they can handle more but is great at that level..

how hard is it to take care of sand?i have a 20 gallon hex i wanna setup for 1 of my females.i was going to buy play sand or pool sand.which ever i can find and is cheap.went to a local store.and couldnt find pool sand but fount the play sand..

but i wasnt too sure if its really hard to take care of or wouldnt be a problem.my dad and i like the more natural look.so we want a tank with sand as well.i already have a 2 gallon with rainbow rocks for 1 female betta.

a 10 gallon with white gravel for my male betta and rosy red minnows and my new oto..

but want sand now for my 20 gallon.read it was hard to take care of.but wasnt really sure if its worth getting..
Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #27 
KukaaKatchou

My zucchini floated so I used a plastic clip and a suction cup to put it near the bottom of the tank.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #28 
MSG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchini

Don't use cucumbers, eggplants, or bitter melon, winter melon, watermelon, etc...

I buy Zucs when they're like $.50/lb or less, yellows or green would work. I would only leave the thin slices in the tank for 12 hours MAX before I remove them. You may want to scrub the outside of the zucchini with kosher salt to remove any of the waxy pesticides. Or use a peeler, but keep in mind, the skin is where most of the nutrients are.

Other people cook them MUCH longer like minutes instead of seconds, but like I said, you kill the nutrients the longer you cook them. You just want to soften them up a little & the otos aren't toothless babies. Make them work on the slice a little.

If you want to feed them spinach, julienne a thin slice for them. Giving them a whole leaf will probably create a larger mess.

They're TINY fish, so don't give them a portion that would require 10 otos to finish. That's why I would feed them a mini portion till I know they're eating the extra supplemented food.

If they finish, then I'll give them the more.

Oh yeah, those clothespins are good to use to hold the little pieces of veggies. Attach a string/fishing line to it for easier retrieval.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #29 
NapoleonUWS

I give my snails a slice of a Kirby cucumber (smaller, less seeds) once a week and they devour it.

I drop the cucumber slice in on the evening and pull out whatever is left in the morning (usually very little).
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #30 
prodrumernate

i took a slice of zucchini and put it in a cup of water then tuck it in the microwave until it would sink...cooled down.then put it in my tank...i noticed my oto wont touch it..he sticks on the wall.but not where there is a lot of algae at...im kinda curious if he is even eating enough