Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 
blue moon

Question fin problems quick answer please

i wake up this morning to say hi to my fish like every other day and his fins were messed up him before and after what should i do yesterday all i did was a water change.also his been swimming around fine acting him self no difference. what should i do put him in a small tank so he can get better or ????
PLZZZ ANSWER QUICKLY
Attached Images

blue moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #2 
katrina89

looks like the filter intake got him
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Tail Biting. Mostly caused by stress or boredom. Does he have any decorations? Tank light? Or it's just because his fins are so big... DTs do this a lot, clean water should make it heal.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #4 
katrina89

this happened to mine and i just let him heal at first i put ppantyhose on the filter intake but it got all clogged up after a week so i took it off and moved around decor so that nothing was near the tube bec it must have got him while he was sleeping
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #5 
Myates

He bit his fins... is he new? A lot of new fish get stressed from water changes at first and if they are prone to biting their fins (which this one looked to of done it before) then they will most likely bite when they get upset.

Just keep him in his home tank, make sure to do the proper weekly water changes and give him high quality diet and he will heal fine. Whether or not he stops biting is up to him.. but as long as you take care of him then he will be healthy and won't develop fin rot.

Apparently he bit them after a water change... (he did some before, but went to town after the change) so it's not due to boredom or anything like that. It is a nervous habit due to stress rather then "boredom".
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #6 
blue moon

well what he does is swim passed the filter a lot but i think he gets mad at the filter he keeps showing his angry face but them he chillz out after. at it should i take out the filter because its 2 strong or can i do something to make it less strong i already have it on low. yes i have decor and a light. and yes he is a new fish.

Last edited by blue moon; 08-16-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #7 
Myates

It's not the filter, you can plainly see it's him biting the fins and pulling out pieces. Recommendation is just keep up with weekly water changes (with the filter you shouldn't be doing 100%s), and a good diet.
This happened right after a water change, why I asked how long have you had him to find out whether or not something needs to be changed on the water changes to help him not be as stressed... it happened over night, so "boredom" is not in play here.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #8 
blue moon

k thank you