Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #11 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Oh, OK. I was confused a bit. Hehe...

The tank has nothing to do with it... Er, all I have to do to activate the sponge filter is to connect it with the air pump, right? Cause that's all I did. There was only 1 review of the filter and it said "It's great for small and fry tanks!". I'm trying to get a test kit to see what the results are. I don't even know if there's ammonia in my tap water. That could be an extra source if there was... This is my sponge filter: http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...=sponge+filter

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. It's just I got curious about the blooms and I never got one.
Lol it's perfectly alright, this is useful information for me as well :)

Okay, so now to make sure I'm on the same page, now that I have my filter in, even though it's not cycling yet, I SHOULD NOT do any 100% changes anymore?

Also, I have another question... In a couple weeks I'm moving to college... Will the cycle have to start all over again since I will inevitably have to put brand new water in?
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, if there's a filter, DON'T do 100% changes.
Beneficial bacteria will start to die off in 6 hours. Are you going to bring it there? What exactly is going to happen?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #13 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Yes, if there's a filter, DON'T do 100% changes.
Beneficial bacteria will start to die off in 6 hours. Are you going to bring it there? What exactly is going to happen?
It's a 2 hour trip, sometimes a little less, sometimes can be up to 2 and a half hours... Since it's move-in day, it'll probably be closer to 2 and a half hours because traffic will probably be relatively bad. When we get to my dorm, all the cars have to wait in a line... There's no telling how long it will take for us to get to the front, and I'm not sure if they let multiple cars unload at the same time... But I believe they let you have 30 minutes to completely unload your belongings onto the grass outside of your residence hall and then you have to get your car out of the area (parking is terrible in this town so they have to keep traffic flowing for move-in day). I think it would be best to set up the tank last, just so I can get everything else into my room quickly. So to be safe, it might be up to 4 hours before I get the tank set up.

I also think I'll cover the top of the tank with plastic wrap, just to make sure no dirt or dust or anything gets in there (I don't have a hood).
Old 08-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #14 
jenjen182

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmelzer909 View Post
It's a 2 hour trip, sometimes a little less, sometimes can be up to 2 and a half hours... Since it's move-in day, it'll probably be closer to 2 and a half hours because traffic will probably be relatively bad. When we get to my dorm, all the cars have to wait in a line... There's no telling how long it will take for us to get to the front, and I'm not sure if they let multiple cars unload at the same time... But I believe they let you have 30 minutes to completely unload your belongings onto the grass outside of your residence hall and then you have to get your car out of the area (parking is terrible in this town so they have to keep traffic flowing for move-in day). I think it would be best to set up the tank last, just so I can get everything else into my room quickly. So to be safe, it might be up to 4 hours before I get the tank set up.

I also think I'll cover the top of the tank with plastic wrap, just to make sure no dirt or dust or anything gets in there (I don't have a hood).
I would bring your betta in a critter keeper because those have hoods and they are meant for traveling; however, if you want to just cover it with plastic wrap that would work as well. Do you have a heater for your tank? How cold could the drive be? It's important to make sure that is pleasant for the betta as well.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #15 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen182 View Post
I would bring your betta in a critter keeper because those have hoods and they are meant for traveling; however, if you want to just cover it with plastic wrap that would work as well. Do you have a heater for your tank? How cold could the drive be? It's important to make sure that is pleasant for the betta as well.
Well, I meant after I take Carla and all the decor out of the tank I'd cover it with plastic wrap... I was thinking I would just keep her in the cup she was in when I bought her, that's what I did when I would do 100% water changes... The drive, since the air conditioning will more than likely be on in the car, could get down to around 70 degrees... I'll try and keep her by a window out of the shade to warm her water up a little though.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #16 
jenjen182

Yeah, that sounds great for her. She'll be fine. The cup will be the perfect size for travel and as long as the temperature stays OK, then you will be great.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote