Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #1 
914joe

Need some advice on cycling a 2.5

I would like to see if i can cycle a 2.5 tank that i have ,i have a larger tank that i can't set up right now because i need to paint the room it will be going in.I would like to transfer these filters to the new larger tank to jump start the cycle in the larger tank in a about a month.I have on hand an API ammonia tester and a API nitrate tester.Can this be done with the 2 filters i have in the pic ,one is a small world pen plax that i removed the carbon from and replaced it with another pen plax sponge ,and the other is an Elite sponge filter .can i do this using betta food and how much do need to add to the tank and how often.
Attached Images

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would get a complete liquid testing kit; ammo, nitrites, nitrates & Ph. I don't know anything about the filters but I don't see why you couldn't. A 2.5g may be difficult because it's such a small volume of water. With fish food I would think just a pinch or 1-2 pellets because the tank is so small. I would test an hour or so later to see if there is any ammo; add more food if not, then test 24 hrs later to see what the ammo level is, if it's low; 1 or less, add some more food. You're going to need to see that it turns to nitrites which then goes to nitrates, which is why you need the complete test kit. Once the ammo disappears within 24 hrs, you have 0 nitrites, & <40 nitrates you should be cycled. Remember that if the Ph crashes (low 6's) the cycle will stall, if the nitrates get too high the cycle can stall as well. I have never done a tank that small so I'm basing my response on my experience with 10g & 46g tanks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 
914joe

Thanks shelleica i have them both in there now i put about 10 pellets in there might be to much, i will see tomorrow .I will see if i can pick up a nitrite kit next week.I had a betta in there for a couple of days i left the water i did not change it ,should i have replaced it .

Last edited by 914joe; 08-12-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Thanks shelleica i have them both in there now i put about 10 pellets in there might be to much, i will see tomorrow .I will see if i can pick up a nitrite kit next week.I had a betta in there for a couple of days i left the water i did not change it ,should i have replaced it .
I wouldn't worry about a water change since you don't have fish in there.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You understand the nitrogen cycle well enough to successfully cycle those two filters, joe. You understand that when the filters are colonized by bacteria, any tank they're put in will be effectively cycled. And shellieca gave you some good advice. (Nitrite testing is important.)

I prefer to cycle with "pure" ammonia (that does NOT foam when shaken). It's less smelly, easier to control accurately and will not grow mold like fishfood. If you must use fishfood, crush it to powder. That will make it less likely to mold.

The bacteria like oxygen, warmth and darkness, so:
---Run you filters full blast.
---Turn your heater up to >85*
---Keep it dark

Most important for a quick secure cycle, try to get seeded media (gravel or filter foam) from an established, cycled tank. Put it in or near the filters.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #6 
914joe

Thanks Hallyx for the tip on crushing the food will do this tomorrow.Unfortunately i don't have access to any seeded media ,but you gave me an idea, i found a real fish store not to far from me i think i will buy the nitrite test from them and ask if they can help me out with some type of seeded material .I really don't know what i am doing i just am reading a lot of posts to learn as much as i can ,i am glad there are a lot of people on here willing to help thanks .
Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 
914joe

I picked up the master kit today ,i asked for some gravel or a piece of sponge and they could not do it.I have not opened it yet as from what i have read the nitrites do not show up for about a week.I tested the water this morning with the ammonia tester that i already have and it seems to be at 0.50 here is a pic, am i reading this right .I know i need to get this up to 5.0, i added some more food ,i guess i will wait and see what reading i get tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 
914joe

It took about 3 days to get the ammonia up , i added about 10 or more pellets for the first 3 days i finaly think it is where it should be .Do i need to continue adding food or wait for the ammonia to go down and then add more food.This is the reading that i got today does this look okay ,i added 2 crushed pellets today but i am not sure if i should have,waited for the ammonia to go down or not.Should i start checking for nitrites or should i wait a few more days .
Attached Images

Last edited by 914joe; 08-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
...i finaly think it is where it should be .Do i need to continue adding food or wait for the ammonia to go down and then add more food.
At 5.0ppm you have enough ammonia. Now comes the hard part---waiting for the nitrifying bacteria to literally fall out of the sky and start to process your ammonia. It may take weeks.

Quote:
.Should i start checking for nitrites or should i wait a few more days .
Check on your ammonia every few days. Use half-full test tubes and four drops of test liquids. When the ammonia starts going down, check for nitrites.

You might try Dr Tim's One-and-Only or Tetra Safestart. Dr Tim and Tetra both claim to have the correct type of bacteria. I've never used them, but some members feel they help. If you use one of these, please tell me about it. I'm trying to keep track of these things.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-17-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote