Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #11 
Shadyr

Anytime you bring a live plant in, something might come with it. I seem to have introduced both baby snails and some kind of annoying white worms...the snails in spite of a QT, the worms from a not long enough QT. I pick snails out of my tank when I find them, and as for the worms...the first round I killed off with Coppersafe. There are a few back now, and at this point I kinda threw my mental hands up and just use the betta baster to suck out as much detrius (and the occasional worm) as I can each water change. One got stirred up into the water a couple weeks ago and Chicory ate it. Free betta treat, yay? IDK, but they stay out of sight so I am letting it be for now.

FWIW, the fish love the live plants, so I can tolerate if not appreciate some of the "fauna" that came with the flora. As long as they stay mostly out of signt and are not a problem for the fish.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #12 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thanks everybody! They DO NOT look like worms, nor do they move like worms. Could they be water plan aria or water fleas? Daphnia?

If they are snails, and if they are beneficial, i wouldn't mine keeping a few. They honestly look like little white blurs or white "tadpoles". They look like the shape of a rain/teardrop with white coloring. They haven't been affecting my betta, and Honeycomb hasn't paid interest to them.

I will do a 50% water change today and see if it helps.

I know i should have QT'nd it, its my fault :( But thats okay, i will deal with it :)

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYBODY!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #13 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Also, i forgot to mention that their is NO SHELLS visible on the "organisms"
Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #14 
cjconcepcion

baby snails dont have visible shells either, theyre so tiny its hard to tell. ive had similar things in my tank, my best guess is snails or large infusoria
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #15 
tpocicat

Most likely they are baby snails.
Daphnia swim in the water, not on the glass so it can't be daphnia.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #16 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Once in a while the "things" swim out into the water...or get sucked up into the intake tube to the filter.

They glide against the glass, and it looks like they sprint or crawl occasionally, not like how a snail would move. They are kinda fast, also.

Could they be sea-slugs or baby snails?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #17 
SpookyTooth

I'd say they are cyclops. Cyclops have a white teardrop shaped body and a tail - if you look closely enough you should see a fork in its tail. The way you describe their movement it definitely sounds like cyclops. If they are they are completely harmless. I have a few of them in my aquariums and I honestly like watching them, your fish may snack on them but they shouldn't harm him.

I had a quick look on YouTube, do they look like these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaaIHBg0TM
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #18 
MyRainbowBettaFish

They look like cylops, like this, just smaller, and LESS DEFINED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7xT...eature=related
Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #19 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
I'd say they are cyclops. Cyclops have a white teardrop shaped body and a tail - if you look closely enough you should see a fork in its tail. The way you describe their movement it definitely sounds like cyclops. If they are they are completely harmless. I have a few of them in my aquariums and I honestly like watching them, your fish may snack on them but they shouldn't harm him.

I had a quick look on YouTube, do they look like these?
hahahah OMG thats the EXACT video i found thats looks like them, except they are way smaller, and i can't see a fork in the tail, and i have good eyesight.

They look and swim a little more like the second video i posted a link to.....where do these come from? In my 5 years of fish keeping i have NEVER experienced ANYTHING like these....where did they come from? I ONLY found them yesterday night, no sooner, no later.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #20 
SpookyTooth

Hahaha what are the odds?

They're likely another species of copepod in that case. I have those, too. Micro fauna is perfectly natural in an established aquarium, especially one with live plants (even just a single moss ball) it's just... sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.

There is a website about all sorts of copepods that I like to throw around into topics hehe, it's here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fish/worms.htm

It has descriptions and images that may prove useful.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daphnia, lice, mysterious organisims