Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #21 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Hahaha what are the odds?

They're likely another species of copepod in that case. I have those, too. Micro fauna is perfectly natural in an established aquarium, especially one with live plants (even just a single moss ball) it's just... sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.

There is a website about all sorts of copepods that I like to throw around into topics hehe, it's here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fish/worms.htm

It has descriptions and images that may prove useful.
haha i know right?
Ok so, they are harmless right? I am still doing a water change though, because they are kinda unsightly....how much %

also, if anyone can help me with this random question about my eye color lol :http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=110880
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #22 
SpookyTooth

They should be harmless. If you want to do a water change I'd advise a 35 or 40% - if your tank is cycled it shouldn't matter. If you still aren't certain you can do an extra 25% water change a week to remove any in the water column, that's what I did when I had a copepod infestation and it helped.

The rest will be up to time and gravel vacuuming.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #23 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
They should be harmless. If you want to do a water change I'd advise a 35 or 40% - if your tank is cycled it shouldn't matter. If you still aren't certain you can do an extra 25% water change a week to remove any in the water column, that's what I did when I had a copepod infestation and it helped.

The rest will be up to time and gravel vacuuming.
PHEW! Thanks for that relief....i was getting worried!

I REALLY Appreciate it!

Twice a week 30% water changes it is!

Will this remove the small population i have?
I only saw 20-30 MAX
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #24 
SpookyTooth

It should help reduce numbers. Some may never leave (especially if they hang out on the glass whenever you do water changes) but in smaller numbers you won't notice them.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #25 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
It should help reduce numbers. Some may never leave (especially if they hang out on the glass whenever you do water changes) but in smaller numbers you won't notice them.
THANKS! So your saying that ALL tanks with plants in them have these copepods?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #26 
SpookyTooth

I can't say for sure but in my own experience every tank I've had with plants in has had these, I've also read that if a tank doesn't have copepods then something must be seriously wrong (the website I linked you to mentioned that). They're a natural part of an aquatic ecosystem and I imagine they do have some level of benefit, even if it is just as extra protein.

I am of the opinion that quarantining your plants will reduce the numbers that are introduced into the tank but in time they may show up anyway.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #27 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
I can't say for sure but in my own experience every tank I've had with plants in has had these, I've also read that if a tank doesn't have copepods then something must be seriously wrong (the website I linked you to mentioned that). They're a natural part of an aquatic ecosystem and I imagine they do have some level of benefit, even if it is just as extra protein.

I am of the opinion that quarantining your plants will reduce the numbers that are introduced into the tank but in time they may show up anyway.
THANKS SO MUCH! You really helped me out, and i appreciate that tremendously :)

Well, sounds like nothing in my tank is seriously wrong lol
Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #28 
SpookyTooth

You're certainly welcome! I'm glad I could help out, I personally love copepods and used to purposefully raise them
Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #29 
MyRainbowBettaFish

OK, so i was reading on the site you gave me and it said that filter current keeps them "in check"

Control - Complete eradication is all but impossible. Proper aquarium maintenance and filtration will keep their numbers down enough to be unapparent. Providing a good current, even without filtration, will also keep the Cyclops in check.

I just realized that a week ago i baffled the filter with a water bottle....could this be why the showed up? And i just didn't notice them before because of the filter current?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #30 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
You're certainly welcome! I'm glad I could help out, I personally love copepods and used to purposefully raise them
They creep me out a little, but at the same time they are cute :)

Tags
daphnia, lice, mysterious organisims