Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Agreed, just keep enough water to cover the gravel & dont let your filter cartridge dry out. Very few beneficial bacteria live in the water itself.

Good luck!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #12 
Rerram

I will be making the four hour drive to Clemson from my dad's house this Friday. Thanks for these tips. I was nervous about it.
Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #13 
Ant10a

I have a 4 hour drive plus about a 1 hour wait time until I can set everything up. I don't have to worry about the cycling process being ruined though because they are all in 1 gallon bowls, which I change the water by hand because my 10 gallon broke, but I wouldn't have had room for it anyway in the dorm room.

I have bags, and I fill them about halfway, then make sure they have a lot of air in them, tie em up, and lay them in a picnic cooler type thing to keep the temperature from drastically changing. I have 3 bettas to transport, so they all get a spot, divided by cardboard, and then in the dark and away we go! lol
Ant10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #14 
colorxmexravyne

my phone has been going off ALL day from all of these responses guys, haha. thanks for all of these! you've all been really helpful! (:
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #15 
colorxmexravyne

question!

i moved in yesterday and there wasn't a mess or anything with the tank like there was last time. HOWEVERRR, my tank is now showing that i have ammonia? it's been cycled since the end of April, so i'm not really sure what's going on here.

my ammonia reading is at .25, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 0. usually, it's ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0 and nitrates: 5. is my tank cycling all over again? x.x

i use seachem prime conditioner. i heard that sometimes messes with things, but i thought that it would give you an ammonia reading of 0 when you actually had ammonia in there.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorxmexravyne View Post
question!

i moved in yesterday and there wasn't a mess or anything with the tank like there was last time. HOWEVERRR, my tank is now showing that i have ammonia? it's been cycled since the end of April, so i'm not really sure what's going on here.

my ammonia reading is at .25, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 0. usually, it's ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0 and nitrates: 5. is my tank cycling all over again? x.x

i use seachem prime conditioner. i heard that sometimes messes with things, but i thought that it would give you an ammonia reading of 0 when you actually had ammonia in there.
Prime only detoxifies ammonia, so if your water has ammonia in it, it will still read as having ammonia. It just will not harm the fish for 48 hours.

Does your tap water have ammonia in it?

Something is defenitely going on with the cycle if you have no nitrates.
Did your filter media get rinsed in any tap water?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #17 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Prime only detoxifies ammonia, so if your water has ammonia in it, it will still read as having ammonia. It just will not harm the fish for 48 hours.

Does your tap water have ammonia in it?

Something is defenitely going on with the cycle if you have no nitrates.
Did your filter media get rinsed in any tap water?
I haven't tested the water here as of late, but I think the very first time I tested the water here I didn't get a reading for ammonia. And my filter media was buried under the substrate (which was covered with tank water) the entire time I was traveling/away from the apartment. :/
Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #18 
teeneythebetta

Hmm.. Well it might be going through a "mini cycle" so test the water regularly and we will just have to see what happens! :P
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #19 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Hmm.. Well it might be going through a "mini cycle" so test the water regularly and we will just have to see what happens! :P
ugh, that's what i was afraid of. x.x any idea how long mini-cycles last? or does it just depend on the tank?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #20 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorxmexravyne View Post
ugh, that's what i was afraid of. x.x any idea how long mini-cycles last? or does it just depend on the tank?
To be honest I'm not sure. Try PM'ing OldFishLady :)

Tags
college, moving