Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #11 
Gizmothefreaky

If you are still thinking about ADFs, please read the thread in my signature, they take a lot of thought and planning, and pretty much all of those fish will eat all of their food if you are not careful, and will starve them. Just think really hard about it and be careful.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #12 
chibifish

Thank you so much for the link, it's exactly what I was looking for. Just a few questions since I wanted ADFs the most.

1) If I have a 10 gallon tank and the only thing I want to put in is ADFs, how many would you suggest?

2) If I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta, how many ADFs would you suggest putting in there?

Again, thank you so much and I will be reading through that thread for a while... :D
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibifish View Post
Thank you so much for the link, it's exactly what I was looking for. Just a few questions since I wanted ADFs the most.

1) If I have a 10 gallon tank and the only thing I want to put in is ADFs, how many would you suggest?

2) If I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta, how many ADFs would you suggest putting in there?

Again, thank you so much and I will be reading through that thread for a while... :D
Gizmo is really a master at frogs as well. Lol. :) If you have a tank specifically for ADFs, I suggest 2-3 frogs. For a 10 gallon with a Betta, maximum is 2 frogs. I hope I helped you a bit, and remember to get DWARF frogs, not clawed. Clawed frogs are known to kill some tiny fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #14 
chibifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Gizmo is really a master at frogs as well. Lol. :) If you have a tank specifically for ADFs, I suggest 2-3 frogs. For a 10 gallon with a Betta, maximum is 2 frogs. I hope I helped you a bit, and remember to get DWARF frogs, not clawed. Clawed frogs are known to kill some tiny fish.
Ah, I see!
My dad used to have one that I picked out when I was younger and he (the frog) did well, so ever since then I've wanted to get more.
And I'll definitely make sure I get the dwarf, not clawed ones.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #15 
Gizmothefreaky

My rule for ADF tank size, is roughly: (frogs-gallons) 1-3, 2-5, 3/4-10 and so on... With just frogs, in a ten gallon, it really depends on how you have it set up... With fake plants, I wouldn't do more than four at most... With a well cycled, live planted tank, you could easily do six... But that is only with frogs alone, with a betta in there, I would say three to a non planted, and four with live plants.

Easiest way to tell CLAWED from DWARF, look for webbed front feet. Clawed frogs don't have webbing and dwarfs do. :)

Hope I helped!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #16 
chibifish

You definitely helped! :D I was planning on putting some live and some fake. Moss balls, java moss, things that are easily cared for. And I'm definitely going to cycle it with the utmost care.

And thanks for the heads up on the webbing. :)

Any type of aquarium they do well in? Just rectangular, or round? Or does it matter? The one thing I am super worried about is them jumping out of the tank so I want to make sure I get the right set-up with the right lid. :/
Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #17 
Gizmothefreaky

They do best on tanks with a nice large footprint, so nothing too tall. A normal ten gallon tank would work just fine.

With is being a mixture of live and fake, I would treat it as a non planted tank, just until you have more live than fake. Lol
Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #18 
cjz96

Be careful when putting ADF in your tank with a betta. I had one in with my betta and it would hang on to his tail and rip some of it off. :/
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #19 
Gizmothefreaky

Aw, I'm sorry you had that experience, but that I'd not very common, I've been keeping frogs for years and never had one bite any fish and hang on...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #20 
chibifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
They do best on tanks with a nice large footprint, so nothing too tall. A normal ten gallon tank would work just fine.

With is being a mixture of live and fake, I would treat it as a non planted tank, just until you have more live than fake. Lol
Ah, I see! I will definitely treat it as a non-planted then.

One more thing - Would mesh/screen tops work well so they don't jump out? And what kind of lighting do they need? (I've seen lights called moonlights, so I want to make sure I get the right kind.)

And thank you again. You've definitely helped me TONS.

Tags
10 gallon, aqadvisor, stocking