Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 
xShainax

Regretting passing up a betta

Am I the only one who has a guilty conscious with passing up a sick betta? I passed this little guy Saturday at where else but Petco, and I have been beating myself up about it. If he isn't there today I am going to be depressed.
Attached Images

xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #2 
Ramble

Nope. I feel bad all the time. I just have to remind myself that I simply don't have the ability to care for all of the sick ones, and I have a responsibility to the ones I already have...that doesn't mean I don't occasionally bring home a pitiful one anyhooooo... I've taken to leaving them on the aquarium manager's table when I find sick ones. I think they cringe when they see me poking around.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

I know how you feel! There is a beautiful white one at my local walmart his cup is gross and half his tail is gone. I so wanted to bring him home, but I have to tell myself no more Vt's. I really want other tail types and soon I wont have room so I need to be a little more selective. though I am sooooo tempted to go back and get him tomorrow.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #4 
xShainax

I know how you feel, I am a fan of CT's more than HM and DeT's because they are notorious tail biters, but that betta was looking at me with those "take me home" eyes
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #5 
TigerRegalia

I feel the same way too. I went to PetSmart today to buy some things, and there was one particular betta whose fins were in terrible shape :( There was another one who was at the bottom of his cup, and his eye did not look right. I eventually had to leave because I felt my heart hurting for them all, but I am still thinking about them.
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

I went to pick up the betta and he was gone. Hopefully it was someone who knew something about betta's who took him. He didnt seem close enough to deaths door to have died over night.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 
mkayum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Nope. I feel bad all the time. I just have to remind myself that I simply don't have the ability to care for all of the sick ones, and I have a responsibility to the ones I already have...that doesn't mean I don't occasionally bring home a pitiful one anyhooooo... I've taken to leaving them on the aquarium manager's table when I find sick ones. I think they cringe when they see me poking around.
1+

I wouldn't buy a sick betta.. I go to see what they have and only pick the betta that are active and no sign of health problems. Buying a sick betta would give me hard time to keep up with the water changes and the special care stuff. I would end up returning it back to the pet store.

If i buy a healthy betta, it's easy and more better for me to know that that guy would be hardy enough to be in my care.
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #8 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayum View Post
1+

I wouldn't buy a sick betta.. I go to see what they have and only pick the betta that are active and no sign of health problems. Buying a sick betta would give me hard time to keep up with the water changes and the special care stuff. I would end up returning it back to the pet store.

If i buy a healthy betta, it's easy and more better for me to know that that guy would be hardy enough to be in my care.
I only bought one sick betta and he wasn't that bad
Old 08-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #9 
Freyja
Banned

I passed on a beautiful white boy at Petsmart and when I went back two days later because I kept thinking about him, he was sicker than I knew I could take care of. So sad!
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #10 
Alcemistnv

There was actually a red/ white butterfly halfmoon at Petsmart at the same time I got Pudge. Both were worthy of coming home, but the halfmoon had some fin biting issues (he had chunks of his fins missing), and I wasn't ready for it.

But as of now, I'm not sure I'm confident in getting a sick betta. I prefer getting the healthy ones for now because I don't have the supplies, time, etc. for sick bettas, unless they are the ones i have now...

I don't want to try, only to have the fish die in a week because i was doing things all wrong...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote