Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #11 
Myates

Firstly, you don't need a filter... if the tank is under 5g you don't need one.

You do need a heater... the house may be at 78, but room temp water will always be cooler.. also there will be fluctuations in the temp in the house, and anything too quickly and drastic will put the betta in shock and possibly kill him.
A heater will keep the tank at the right temp continuously and will avoid the risk of fluctuations. A 10-25w heater for a smaller tank is just fine.

The 1gal you picked out is JUST FINE. Don't need anything bigger. I would just avoid the bubbler as it may push the betta around too much.

Mirrors and bettas are just fine to do. In fact, people should be using a mirror as exercise daily for the betta (if the betta doesn't see other bettas on a regular basis). Three to five minutes once or twice a day is recommended to keep up muscles and get their blood pumping.

I would either get the tank you want (as you know how much you can spend and how much room you have).. if you want to upgrade then get one of the kritter keepers, a medium is 1.75g, large is 2.75g (not 5g) which are plenty big enough and easy to care for.

As for decorations.. silk plants, glass items that don't have those sticker type decals, ceramics that have been glazed or plain.. just make sure there are no wires/metal of any type. You can build things (like glue rocks on a coffee mug, etc) using aquarium silicone.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #12 
Assault0137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

You do need a heater... the house may be at 78, but room temp water will always be cooler.. also there will be fluctuations in the temp in the house, and anything too quickly and drastic will put the betta in shock and possibly kill him.
A heater will keep the tank at the right temp continuously and will avoid the risk of fluctuations. A 10-25w heater for a smaller tank is just fine.

The 1gal you picked out is JUST FINE. Don't need anything bigger. I would just avoid the bubbler as it may push the betta around too much.

Mirrors and bettas are just fine to do. In fact, people should be using a mirror as exercise daily for the betta (if the betta doesn't see other bettas on a regular basis). Three to five minutes once or twice a day is recommended to keep up muscles and get their blood pumping.

I would either get the tank you want (as you know how much you can spend and how much room you have).. if you want to upgrade then get one of the kritter keepers, a medium is 1.75g, large is 2.75g (not 5g) which are plenty big enough and easy to care for.

As for decorations.. silk plants, glass items that don't have those sticker type decals, ceramics that have been glazed or plain.. just make sure there are no wires/metal of any type. You can build things (like glue rocks on a coffee mug, etc) using aquarium silicone.
um, no :) they are five. convert 1237 cubic inches to a little over 5g.
Assault0137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

The 1-3 gallon tetra whisper filter at walmart is about $11...I use that in both my 5g tanks actually..a great filter!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #14 
Assault0137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
The 1-3 gallon tetra whisper filter at walmart is about $11...I use that in both my 5g tanks actually..a great filter!
thank you! would it clean a 5g kritter keeper well enough? i can get a 10i filter for the smae price, but i am worried it will stress or even suck up the betta. the 10i is 90gph, which is almost 4 times what i would want my betta to swim in.... If i get the 3i, i am planning to do 40% water changes weekly, so that mught help.

Last edited by Assault0137; 08-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #15 
Assault0137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

I've decided to not buy a filter. Thanks for your input. I might get a small terra cotta pot and cut out the bottom and make a cave. I am very annoyed that I can't find a bunch of fake plants I KNOW I have... I was going to make a hammock out of a leaf from one....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #16 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault0137 View Post
thank you! would it clean a 5g kritter keeper well enough? i can get a 10i filter for the smae price, but i am worried it will stress or even suck up the betta. the 10i is 90gph, which is almost 4 times what i would want my betta to swim in.... If i get the 3i, i am planning to do 40% water changes weekly, so that mught help.
I like the smaller one for that reason...I DO put a small piece of aquarium sponge in the uptake, and use a valve to control flow...It really works great for my 5g tanks! The valves are really cheap too, I got mine at Petsmart.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #17 
Assault0137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I like the smaller one for that reason...I DO put a small piece of aquarium sponge in the uptake, and use a valve to control flow...It really works great for my 5g tanks! The valves are really cheap too, I got mine at Petsmart.
I would just buy valves at home depot. They're REALLY overpriced at the pet stores
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #18 
Assault0137

Anyone have something to say on rehabilitating the Betta? When I get him he will have been in the same tank for 2 weeks, so he may be in poor shape...
Posted via Mobile Device