Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 
labloverl

Reusing old gravel, possible leak in tank, & stains at top of tank

I found some old gravel stuffed in a cabinet, and I want to use it for the 5 gallon I'm setting up. I'm not sure what kind of fish I used it with, or what eventually happened to the fish, but how well do I need to clean it before using it?

This tank has been in storage for a while. I filled it up and sat in on a dry surface to check for leaks. While sitting there, there were no leaks. When I tipped it on it's short end, I noticed that in the middle, at the bottom (on the long side), water came out between the black rubber and the glass. Is there likely a leak somewhere?

Also, at the top of the tank on the glass, there an ugly white stain/residue all around the tank. Brushing with a toothbrush didn't do anything. What can I get rid of it with?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 
megaredize

vinegar will help with everything actually, you can use a solution to clean the gravel and the tank and it should take the calcium deposits off the tank too.

i would fill it again and leave it be for awhile to make sure about the leak
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #3 
SpookyTooth

If the leak is minor you should be able to fix it using aquarium sealant/silicone. Aquarium sealant usually comes in either a little squeezy tube or a larger tube with a plunger, for minor repairs small squeezy tubes are easier but the larger tube is often better value for money (in my opinion), simply follow the instructions on the bottle, wait for the sealant to cure then try the tank again.

Seals on tanks can be repaired but if it's an issue with the glass pane then I don't think sealant will do it.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #4 
labloverl

Well, I filled it up and let it sit over night, and no leaks. I tipped it over to pour it out, and didn't see the water coming up between the black rubber and the glass... Should I not worry about it since it's okay when sitting upright?

How much vinegar do I use to clean it? Can I clean the rocks in the tank at the same time?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #5 
labloverl

bump
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #6 
Seki

To be honest, I would boil the gravel. That's what I did with my gravel and everything is fine. After you boil it, rinse it thoroughly several times and it'll be good.

Vinegar works great for cleaning the tank, but I do wonder if it would possibly fade the gravel a bit, being so acidic? I have no idea if that would happen, but I guess boiling is just the way I'd go. Your call.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote