Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #11 
homegrown terror

it'd be fine for a betta, but for about the same price i recently picked up the EXACT same tank, but in a 10gallon size, which you could divide and have TWICE the fishy fun! a larger tank will also allow for a more variegated water flow, and anything harmful that might wind up in there (it happens in even the best-kept tanks) will be a lot more diffused with more water to spread out. that, and the larger size is deeper, so if you wanted to make it a community tank, you could have fish that thrive in different water zones.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #12 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
it'd be fine for a betta, but for about the same price i recently picked up the EXACT same tank, but in a 10gallon size, which you could divide and have TWICE the fishy fun! a larger tank will also allow for a more variegated water flow, and anything harmful that might wind up in there (it happens in even the best-kept tanks) will be a lot more diffused with more water to spread out. that, and the larger size is deeper, so if you wanted to make it a community tank, you could have fish that thrive in different water zones.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking to make this into a tank for a single betta. I already have a 20 gallon that was gifted to me by my brother that I intend to set up as a community tank with a small sorority and maybe some cories. The 5 gallon will be going on my desk, and I'm going to cycle it while I look for the perfect betta to go into it.

I already have the 5.5 gallon, and I'm super pleased with it. I can't wait to show you all what it looks like when it's done! I plan on making it AMAZING!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #13 
katrina89

I have this tank! love it... the filter intake tube did shred my bettas fins but all i did was rearrange the tank so that none of his sleeping spots are around it and it hasnt happened since... he loves the current from the filter... he plays with it throughout the day...its a good purchase
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #14 
Seki

Since I've been hearing bad things about the filter intake tube, is it alright to sort of block it off so the fish can't get there? If I block it with a couple rocks, I would assume the water and such could still get through, but the fish couldn't get to it, right?

I have also been considering getting a different filter if people think this one isn't workable.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #15 
registereduser

I've never had a problem with it, as a matter of fact Irving likes to brush up to it and get stuck to it on purpose!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #16 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Since I've been hearing bad things about the filter intake tube, is it alright to sort of block it off so the fish can't get there? If I block it with a couple rocks, I would assume the water and such could still get through, but the fish couldn't get to it, right?

I have also been considering getting a different filter if people think this one isn't workable.
i'd try a sponge or cloth rather than rocks. the rocks wouldn't do anything to keep his fins from getting caught except VERY slightly reducing the suction speed.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #17 
katrina89

honestly its better if nothing is around it... my betta can swim next to it and not get stuck in it.. the problem was that he fell asleep on something next to it and it shred him... but there have been no further incidents and he has learned lol
Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #18 
katrina89

i tried the pantyhose for a while and then it turned black and stopped the filter from working so i said eff that
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #19 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I've never had a problem with it, as a matter of fact Irving likes to brush up to it and get stuck to it on purpose!
he might have a parasite of some kind and sticks himself to it trying to rub an itch.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #20 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
he might have a parasite of some kind and sticks himself to it trying to rub an itch.
nope, just likes to play
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote