Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Mice as pets

So now I want a mouse....I might get one when my hamster dies.

Anyone have them? Pros and cons?

Thanks
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 
Pixielator

I don't have one, but my sister has some and breeds them. The good things are they're really cute, typically friendly, come in lots of pretty colors and patterns, and they're fun to watch. Theres really only one bad thing I can think of, and this is, they stink. And strangely, they stink even more than rats (I have a rat). You'd think that since they're so small they wouldn't stink as much, but they're basically cute, fuzzy, little stink balls.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
I don't have one, but my sister has some and breeds them. The good things are they're really cute, typically friendly, come in lots of pretty colors and patterns, and they're fun to watch. Theres really only one bad thing I can think of, and this is, they stink. And strangely, they stink even more than rats (I have a rat). You'd think that since they're so small they wouldn't stink as much, but they're basically cute, fuzzy, little stink balls.
LOL yeah I've heard they are stinky, especially the boys (and I want a boy, lol) But I'm guessing if I clean up after him enough it won't be overwhelming...

But they are friendly towards people?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #4 
Pixielator

Well, you certainly have to be prepared to clean a lot. And as long as you can handle a little stink, it should be fine. Its up to you if its worth it or not.

Most of them are friendly towards people. There was only one that I know about that my sister had that would bite her every time she stuck her hand in the cage. The rest are friendly. If you can find one that wasn't bred by a mass breeder, then its likely to be more friendly because it will have been handled by people more. My sister's baby mice that she's raising are much friendlier than the ones she bought from petco.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Well, you certainly have to be prepared to clean a lot. And as long as you can handle a little stink, it should be fine. Its up to you if its worth it or not.

Most of them are friendly towards people. There was only one that I know about that my sister had that would bite her every time she stuck her hand in the cage. The rest are friendly. If you can find one that wasn't bred by a mass breeder, then its likely to be more friendly because it will have been handled by people more. My sister's baby mice that she's raising are much friendlier than the ones she bought from petco.
Too bad she couldn't ship one to me, lol.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #6 
Pixielator

Well if you're serious, I can ask her tomorrow if she would once the babies are weened. I know she's not gonna keep all of them. So maybe she would if you want, I can ask her tomorrow. I don't know anything about shipping mice and if you even can though, so I can't guarantee anything.

And if you were just joking then, haha. :)
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Well if you're serious, I can ask her tomorrow if she would once the babies are weened. I know she's not gonna keep all of them. So maybe she would if you want, I can ask her tomorrow. I don't know anything about shipping mice and if you even can though, so I can't guarantee anything.

And if you were just joking then, haha. :)
well I am serious about owning a mouse, but it can't be until my hamster dies and he isn't sick or anything...But i don't think you can ship a mouse...wouldn't it get too scared? idk...
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #8 
Pixielator

Oh, I see. I have no clue. Well I think a mouse is a good pet to consider for your next rodent pet. But if you're worried about it being mean, just tell the person at the pet store your concern and ask if you can pet them to see which ones are nicer.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Oh, I see. I have no clue. Well I think a mouse is a good pet to consider for your next rodent pet. But if you're worried about it being mean, just tell the person at the pet store your concern and ask if you can pet them to see which ones are nicer.
That's a good idea, thank you :)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #10 
Aus

I've owned both mice and rats - and after my first rat, I would never choose mice again. I love looking at them as they are so small and sweet, but a rat is more like having a tiny dog as far as intelligence and responsiveness goes. Plus yes - rats smell less. They don't have to smell at all, if you have two females (rats are social and need rat company) as I did, and clean the cage frequently enough. Boys are whiffier (we have three at the moment) but generally more calm to handle, especially if you get them as babies.

Daughter has trained the rats not to poop when being held, and is working on litter-training them in the cage so thy poop in one corner, making cage cleaning much simpler. Females take to this training better than boys. But boys get huge and squishy, like beany toys, and have cuter bellies. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote