Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #21 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I think the cardboard is creating an eclipse more than shade. Maybe try using something that will dull the light as apposed to blocking the light all together. Like, cheese cloth or some type of sheer fabric. I have Anacharis that grew tall enough to bendover and block the light a bit without making the tank seem like have night half day.

Bluegreen algae is usually from having the light on for too long and you already got great advice on how to fix it. However, if you do decrease the time your lights are on and then get brown algae, that usually means your bulb is too old to give off light your plants can use. I think you can get a good 6 months out of a bulb before it needs to be changed. I get about 8 months out of my lights, but i have low light plants instead of high light plants.

I figured now would be a good time to warn you that even if you can see the light, your plants may not be able to use it while algae can.
Ahhh i've been having both BAG and brown algae at the same time. I wish the cost for bulbs were much less expensive o_o guess I gotta go find a replacement, it was pre-owned IF the brown algae stays. It might have grown a bit since I had my lights off. I guess things will hopefully work out in the end ^^
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #22 
SnowySurface

Yeah...if turning your lights off more often adds to your brown algea problem, then you have old bulbs. I can feel your pain since I have to buy two new bulbs today to replace the old bulbs in my planted 5 gallons tanks. That's what made me think of the advice in the first place. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #23 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Yeah...if turning your lights off more often adds to your brown algea problem, then you have old bulbs. I can feel your pain since I have to buy two new bulbs today to replace the old bulbs in my planted 5 gallons tanks. That's what made me think of the advice in the first place. XD
Oh it was from having no lights for a 5 day period. I'm seeing now if it gets any better. I THINK the BAG got better and the brown algae is slowly getting better. My fish is slowly getting used to the 1/4 lighting scenario, I put the cardboard under the light instead of so close to the water since it got wet X_x ooops....

Anyway, things are going a bit better since that happened. Good grief. XD my fish doesn't swim around as fast, he's acting slow but at least he's calmer. He loves to stay on the lighted side for some reason, I never see him anywhere else. XD Hahaha.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote