Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #1 
yayagirl1209

spitting out food

I've had my little CT for close to a month now. From the day he arrived, he happily ate. His daily diet is NLS (2 to 3 pellets) twice a day. Once a week, I'll substitute 1 small freeze dried bloodworm for his pellets twice a day. And once a week, he gets fasted. He always darts to the same corner of the tank whenever it's meal time.

Well, for the past 3 to 4 days he hasn't had his normal hardy appetite. He will gulp a pellet and spit it out repeatedly, then just give up and let it fall to the bottom. He does the same with his freeze dried bloodwoorms too. He's still darting to his corner wanting food, but can't/won't keep it down. He doesn't appear bloated, but last night during his water change I added 1 tsp/gal epsom salt in case he was constipated. It didn't appear to make any difference. I've tried 2 different brands of pellets (NLS and Hikari Betta Bio Gold), Omega One Betta flakes (which he showed no interest in), and his freeze dried bloodworms.

I'm stumped. Any opinions?
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

Soak the pellets before giving them to him. My HM, Castiel was a super picky eater when I brought him home. He ate flakes but didn't touch the pellets or bloodworms. I eventually got him to like pellets by soaking them in water for about 5 minutes before giving them to him and now he'll eat anything I put in his tank.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #3 
gn3ranger

I agree with the soaked pellet suggestion my Betta also spit his food out. I soaked His food In a cup of the tank water and low and behold he was a glutton for pellets once more. Mine now eats the pellets Straight out of the Container without being soaked.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #4 
cataze

My betta started doing that. He ended up having parasites. Just keep an eye on his poop. If you see any white stringy poop, that's probably what it is.

In any case, epsom salt will help with any bloating he may get if he's just constipated, or any parasites he may have.

Soaking his pellets in garlic juice may also help him eat his food!
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #5 
yayagirl1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataze View Post
My betta started doing that. He ended up having parasites. Just keep an eye on his poop. If you see any white stringy poop, that's probably what it is.

In any case, epsom salt will help with any bloating he may get if he's just constipated, or any parasites he may have.

Soaking his pellets in garlic juice may also help him eat his food!
I tried epsom salt for 1 day to see if it would help possible constipation. I haven't noticed any white, stringy feces coming from his vent. But he does have very light colored gravel. I have changed his water several times in the last 5 days because of the uneaten food. I honestly don't know if it was all wasted food or if some of the debris was feces. His normal poop is the same color as his food.

At this point, I'm debating whether or not to just prophylactically treat for intestinal parasites. And if I do decide to use General Cure (that's what I have on hand), should I do simultaneous epsom salt treatment to help him purge any possible parasites??

Uggh....I don't want to over-react. But I wanna make sure my new little man is alright.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #6 
cataze

Normally if he has white stringy poop, you would see it dangling from him. It could just be that he's constipated, but it's hard to tell. Has he started to bloat at all?

What temperature is his water? Sometimes bumping up the heat a bit helps....to 82F or something. If you raise his temp, do it slowly so as not to shock him.
cataze is offline   Reply With Quote