Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #11 
Aus

I really think 10 g is even too small for catfish, as most of the smallish ones are schooling fish so you can't jsut get one and expect it to thrive. They have a HUGE bioload (omg, plecos can poop!) And some bettas just hate them to death (literally, in my plakat's case, he's killed a couple of tankmates so far..).

What about some shrimp? They're fun to watch and provide entertainment (and the occasional lunch) for my bettas. I stock half a dozen RCS every six months or so in my heavily planted 3.5 gallon. Also, a few in the 10 g with my large plakat (ofc, they don't last as long with him..) The shrimp get picked off by my aggressive little VT girl every now and then and eventually all go missing but I don't mind - the bettas are in glowing health and happy, my plants and wood are algae-free and shrimp don't have a huge bioload so it doesn't matter if there's a few still hiding out when I restock.

I recently got some Darwin Algae Shrimp for the 3ft wild betta tank - these are native to Australia (I hope they end up in America, you guys would love these shrimp!) -- they are a lot like ghost shrimp, larger than RCS and a bit more aggressive. After a couple of swift nose-pinches, my wilds have decided that picking on the DAS isn't worth it, and now they all get along. The DAS are great to watch toodling around and changing colours every now and then.. and yeah, they love the algae. Shrimp are really win/win (well, maybe it's not so win for the RCS in my splendens tanks but everyone else is pretty happy, heh).

Last edited by Aus; 08-18-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #12 
Shirleythebetta

Most Pecos need at least 55 or more in my opinion. And otos need at least a twenty since they need tons of algae I think you should try shrimp too. And omg yes plecos do nothing but poop. Mine is in a temporary thirty alone. Not my ideal so dont attack me people. He was an emergency rescue. He will only live there until I get my 55 from my dad. I am cleaning that tank all the time since he constantly poops. Also I don't think any type of suckers can stand salt. And if the ten is divided Cory's aren't really an options either since they love to roam.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #13 
Pixielator

So the shrimp can handle salt? And would they bug my trapdoor snails?
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #14 
Shirleythebetta

Do you have a hospitol tank? How often do you use salt? If you have a hospitol tank to put your fish when they are sick in I wouldn't worry abt salt.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #15 
Pixielator

I have things that I can use as hospitol tanks, but I like to use salt once a month just as a precaution to prevent any illness. I keep the tank clean, so its not that I think any illness is likely to occur, but putting a little salt in now and then just eases my mind a bit more. I always do it soon before water changes so the salt is only in there for one or two days. It would just be easier if the shrimp could tollerate the salt, but if I need to I can take any remaining shrimp out before I use salt.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #16 
Shirleythebetta

I'm not to sure abt that one. I'd research the shrimp a bit more.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #17 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Using salt regularly can make the betta's body used to the salt, and when you really need it, the salt will not help.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #18 
Aus

I've been doing a lot of reading on sodium chloride (salt) use in tanks... the whole issue is so very divided, but here's what I've gathered:

A -tiny- bit of sodium is actually good for keeping the fish's osmotic pressure up, and a few other things besides. This teensy amount won't dent diseases in general (it's like 1 tsp per 50 gallons, or something...) - higher amounts of salt used regularly can lead to salt-tolerant ich, etc., and gradually build up to quite high levels in the tank, so it's not generally recommended to add more than a trace amount.

I'm not sure about shrimp with salt, actually, as I use hospital tanks when the fish are sick. Something else to research!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
I know they're so adorable. ^-^

But another important reason I want a small sucker, is because of an incident that happened a few months ago. My husband caught some good sized minnows and brought them home, a week or so later he got an African Rope Fish. They were supposed to be fine together because the rope fish is a bottom feeder. Well, within the next few days 2 of the minnows went missing and we couldn't figure it out, until I saw the outline of a small fish in the rope fish's stomach.. Since the minnows sleep at the BOTTOM and the rope fish is a BOTTOM feeder, it was eating them while they slept. -.- So I don't want my suckers to hove mouths large enough to swallow my bettas, I'm especially worried about the girls. But so far it looks like the only ones I can use are otos, which I don't really like. :/
Ropefish will swim in the top half of the tank and some even like sitting on land. They will eat anything that fits in their mouth, you basically provided feeders to it.. They also like groups.

Anyways, you don't have room for catfish, unless your sorority is stocked lightly with 4 girls. IF you plant it I think the cories could live there.

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but there are adorable plecos that stay under 2" but they need very specialized care. ^-^ (freaky fish moment!)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #20 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Using salt regularly can make the betta's body used to the salt, and when you really need it, the salt will not help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading on sodium chloride (salt) use in tanks... the whole issue is so very divided, but here's what I've gathered:

A -tiny- bit of sodium is actually good for keeping the fish's osmotic pressure up, and a few other things besides. This teensy amount won't dent diseases in general (it's like 1 tsp per 50 gallons, or something...) - higher amounts of salt used regularly can lead to salt-tolerant ich, etc., and gradually build up to quite high levels in the tank, so it's not generally recommended to add more than a trace amount.

I'm not sure about shrimp with salt, actually, as I use hospital tanks when the fish are sick. Something else to research!
Even if its only once a month and less than a tsp a gallon?? And only left in there for 1-2 days (normally just 1)?
For the osmotic pressure thing, does the salt need to be in there all the time or am I supposed to put it in for a day and then change the water or something like that?