Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 
Stormfish

I think Delores REALLY wants to spawn!

I've kept female betta in the past, and I have never, ever seen them pop out a bunch of eggs before. Delores' 5 gallon tank just looked like a snowglobe! Then she went around and ate most of her eggs.

I think she would really like to spawn. She also likes to build bubble nests in the hopes, I suppose. And while I also have a male betta, Rojo, I do not want to breed them for many reasons. Two of which are: I don't want Delores to end up injured in the process, and 2. I would feel uncomfortable selling/giving away baby betta to potentially irresponsible wannabe fish keepers.
Stormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #2 
ccam7591

Wow, that's pretty cool!
ccam7591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

That's normal, it doesn't mean she wants to spawn. That's normal in females. you do know that you need proper stock, right? You can't just make them breed with no purpose. You can end up with 200 babies if you're lucky.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 
Stormfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
That's normal, it doesn't mean she wants to spawn. That's normal in females. you do know that you need proper stock, right? You can't just make them breed with no purpose. You can end up with 200 babies if you're lucky.
First off, I have no intention of breeding them. The world already has enough unwanted animals.

Second, do you mean like breeding mixed breed dogs? You end up with betta mutts? ;)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I agree with you on that. Well, it's like breeding a Lab with a Dachshund. It's like you have no goal in breeding and making mutts all over the place. But some mixed breeds are pretty nice. As long as you have a home for them, and not much health issues, I say it's OK. But in fish mind, you have to cull. :'(
Old 08-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #6 
Stormfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I agree with you on that. Well, it's like breeding a Lab with a Dachshund. It's like you have no goal in breeding and making mutts all over the place. But some mixed breeds are pretty nice. As long as you have a home for them, and not much health issues, I say it's OK. But in fish mind, you have to cull. :'(
Although, when you mix breeds of dogs, what usually happens is a heartier animal is produced. One that breeds out breed-specific health problems like heart issues or joint dysplasia.

I cannot imagine having to cull adorable little baby fish. That would break my heart.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

True, and you might even get a healthier and a unique looking dog as well. :)
Culling usually happens if the fish has a deformity that can cause it pain in the future. It's sad, but it happens.