Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #1 
Rothsauce

New Bettas + owner, tank setup acceptable?

Hello all!

New Betta owner, and am wondering if this tank setup is acceptable or if I have too much stuff going on?
Also some questions about filtering/vacuuming and water changes for a 10g tank. But first, on to the tank.

It's a 10g tank divided between two veiltail males.
I've put plants on both sides of the divider as hiding/ambush spots and so they will be less likely to spot each other and get crabby. Up until adding in the plants, they spent most the past few days flaring at each other and rarely exploring the rest of their spaces. They both are more active and no longer seek the other out, and seem to enjoy rummaging through the silk plants (I've no live plants).
Both also have a decoration if they ever prefer the privacy of a cave instead.

I've an under gravel filter (complete with gravel!), but have not actually attached the 'filter' part to the the base. I was wondering if there a preference between the motorized or air-pumped filters (aside from possibly fishy preference)? At the moment there is a bit of a spacial issue, and I don't want to try and overtax the room they are currently set up in (long story short, has a lot of electronic devices in use already that require power strips).
If I forgo both the former options, what about a regular vacuum filter? Is it really just as simple as moving it about the gravel as I'm doing a partial water change to make sure I get the excrement?
Another question is water changes, for a 10g how much or often is recommended? I've read a few topics for smaller tanks, but haven't been able to find one for a 10g with two fish, and the other topics also usually called for a full change every so often.
They do have a heater that is usually 75-78 degrees.

Attached is a picture of the tank set up, and the best pictures I could currently get of the two boys.

The blue one is Vigo (had to alter the pics colors a bit to bring out his true color. His face is almost black and fades to blue throughout his body, and loves to hide in his plants until I swing by the tank. Then he pops out to see what's going on).
The purple/red one is Janosz (since he can't have easy access to Vigo any more, he likes to chase his reflection a lot). There does seem to be a bit of.... 'clearness' at the very tip of his tail that is bothering me. I can't tell if it is fin rot or maybe some regrowth.

Thanks for any answers you guys can provide!
Attached Images

Rothsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

i'd say you did a pretty good job, especially for a first timer (if you could see what a hellhole my first tank was, before i knew anything, you'd be apalled) good job camoflaging the divider so they're not constantly bugging each other.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #3 
CandiceMM

I think it looks great! Welcome to the forum and welcome to the addiction they call Betta owning!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #4 
lelei

It is soo nice..I love how it looks, and the extra plants will keep them very secure in their own space!! Great job..Welcome to the wonderful world of being a betta mommy, and congrats on your new additions to the family:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 
lelei

So, you are not using the filter, is that correct, is there anything in there to provide oxygen such as an airstone, you would need a pump for it, but if it's not filtered, and not cycled, a weekly water change should be sufficient, around 75-85% and do the gravel vaccumming also just add one live plant to each side if you can, it will help with oxygen.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #6 
Rothsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
So, you are not using the filter, is that correct, is there anything in there to provide oxygen such as an airstone, you would need a pump for it, but if it's not filtered, and not cycled, a weekly water change should be sufficient, around 75-85% and do the gravel vaccumming also just add one live plant to each side if you can, it will help with oxygen.
Correct Lelei, not using any filter yet but have the set ups to do so. I have an electronic and air pump version, and though I've heard good things about both, was wondering if one was hugely beneficial over the other, or if there were other options aside that would be better for a more confined/taxed space.

No airstone at the moment, I may end up using the filter that came with the tank until I can figure out what I'd really want to do for filtration/oxygen.
I've also come across sponge filters?
Ideally I'm just looking for an option that is less taxing on both space and power. Not trying to avoid pumps of some kind, just not sure what kind of options will work for bettas.
Are ideal plants listed in the guide in the Betta Care section? I can't recall right off hand but will be thumbing through them again.

Thank you for the responses!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #7 
strudle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiceMM View Post
I think it looks great! Welcome to the forum and welcome to the addiction they call Betta owning!
This!!!
strudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothsauce View Post
Correct Lelei, not using any filter yet but have the set ups to do so. I have an electronic and air pump version, and though I've heard good things about both, was wondering if one was hugely beneficial over the other, or if there were other options aside that would be better for a more confined/taxed space.

No airstone at the moment, I may end up using the filter that came with the tank until I can figure out what I'd really want to do for filtration/oxygen.
I've also come across sponge filters?
Ideally I'm just looking for an option that is less taxing on both space and power. Not trying to avoid pumps of some kind, just not sure what kind of options will work for bettas.
Are ideal plants listed in the guide in the Betta Care section? I can't recall right off hand but will be thumbing through them again.

Thank you for the responses!
look in the Planted Tanks section, but really any plant with broad, droopy leaves the bettas can rest on would be perfect. also, the wider leaves offer a greater surface area for gas exchange, which raises the oxygen levels in your tank.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #9 
Rothsauce

Thanks again everyone!

Think I'm going to go with a water sprite and some java on each side, seems like they would work well for the setup I have at the moment.
Hopefully the fiancee and I will be moving within a year, will make other options far more possible for tank setups then (hoping to go with a 15g, and give them 5 or more a piece and put most the filtration and other hardware in or near the middle).
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

Ghostbusters?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote