Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

Low tech set-up

Kfryman wanted to see some pictures of this tank so I thought I'd post them here. Unfortunately because of the location of the tank my photos either came out really bright or really dark.

This is my low tech tank. I literally just do a 25% water change on it once a week and scrub the algae off the sides. Plants are mini bolbitis, java moss, anubias, needle leaf java fern and standard java fern.

The right hand side still needs some work and I am trying to figure out a good replacement external filter because this tank is so small and shallow.

I have no idea what my betta was doing during this photoshoot. He looks derpy in all of these when he is really quite lovely in real life.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #2 
cjz96

Your tank is beautiful and so is your betta! I'm hoping to start a ten gallon planted tank soon. Hopefully someday my tank will look as opulent as yours.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #3 
dash45

how many gallons it that doaqua! tank.
dash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I think 4? It is 45cms long x 16cms high x 24cms wide. It's actually a really great size, although I prefer the 60-F, which is slightly taller and wider, and is 60cms long.

It's a pretty easy set-up. Just took a while for the java moss to spread and my bolbitis to grow in. I just like it as there is no need to be pruning stems or cleaning up plant debris.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #5 
tanseattle

You call that low tech set up???? What do you try to say (make fun many of members :(

My highest setup has only heater and thermometer.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Low tech is referring to the fact the plants require essentially no fertilisers, there no CO2 and quite low light over the whole thing.

High tech to me usually means lots of light, regular dosing of fertilisers and CO2.

It has nothing to do with anything else and I'm not making fun of anyone. High tech and low tech are just terms used by people with planted set-ups.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #7 
Jupiter

Gorgeous set-up and betta! I'd love to have a tank like yours someday...I've actually been searching for a tank like that (a longer, shallow rectangular kind).
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #8 
kfryman

Haha, I am looking to turn my sorority high tech. I already have the T5HO light and some ferts. I am looking to do DIY CO2 first, then I am gonna buy a regulator so I have no need for an airpump. Though, I have been to lazy to do the CO2 lol.

Tank looks gorgeous! I remember you posting a picture of it once, maybe in you avatar or something, and I was amazed by the simplicity, yet it looks amazing!

What about the TOm Mini Internal filter? Or rock two Azoo Palm filters, one one each end? They are rated for 3.5 gallons. so you might even be able to get away with one, but 2 provides a bit better flow (adjustable flow too)
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #9 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Gorgeous set-up and betta! I'd love to have a tank like yours someday...I've actually been searching for a tank like that (a longer, shallow rectangular kind).
Look into the Mr Aqua 12 gallon long, it is amazing! Super low, perfect for bettas and you can divide it if you really wanted too (I don't care much for divided tanks) and each betta would have 6 gallons, but the length to swim would be a lot of swimming room for them.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rectangle_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_R ectangular-Azoo-AZ1119-FIAQRA-AZ1123-vi.html
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #10 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Look into the Mr Aqua 12 gallon long, it is amazing! Super low, perfect for bettas and you can divide it if you really wanted too (I don't care much for divided tanks) and each betta would have 6 gallons, but the length to swim would be a lot of swimming room for them.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rectangle_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_R ectangular-Azoo-AZ1119-FIAQRA-AZ1123-vi.html
Awesome! Thanks!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote