Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 
jessicaohwell

Help with tank cleaning?

Cleaning his tank for the first time, and I'm not 100% sure how to do it.
How do I get him out of the tank safely? Theres only one fish and it's a 1 gallon.
jessicaohwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 
DiiQue

If you still have his cup that he came with you can try to lure him in there and then scoop him out (I use food to get my guy in the cup). You just want to make sure you are doing this delicately so you don't damage any of his/her fins.

As for cleaning the tank itself, I would just rinse everything in running water (I'm assuming you don't have a filter and the tank is not cycled). Make sure you stir the gravel/substrate really good so you remove all the waste.

After you clean, add in conditioned water (water that has been treated to remove any chlorine from the tap) and then slowly acclimate the fish back into the tank (float the cup for 10-15mins so the temp will be about the same). Release the fish and repeat the process every other day.

Last edited by DiiQue; 08-18-2012 at 10:50 PM.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

I find it tough to fit the pet store cups into my one gallon bowls...I have a smaller plastic cup I use...I also have a net for those times when I just can't cup one of them.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #4 
cjz96

I would use a net. I get my bettas with the net by waiting until they least expect it. Try to get them from behind when they're not looking.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Nets would damage their fins and stress them, it's not really recommended. :\
Cupping them will ensure no fin damage and little to no stress.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #6 
jessicaohwell

I'll cup them, and I'm not sure about cycling but it is filtered.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

It's filtered? Doesn't your Betta have a hard time swimming? And you don't do 100% changes as all the bacteria will die. Cycling is a long proccess and is the filter's purpose.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #8 
jessicaohwell

Ok, and the filter is actually not that bad, he has a fine time with it, I checked don't' worry the little guy is fine ^.^ The current isn't that strong at all. And I'll do a 50% does that sound good?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaohwell View Post
Ok, and the filter is actually not that bad, he has a fine time with it, I checked don't' worry the little guy is fine ^.^ The current isn't that strong at all. And I'll do a 50% does that sound good?
I suggest you buy a liquid test kit to measure your ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. This will help you cycle.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

The ammonia level will tell you how big of a water change may be neccessary.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #10 
Jupiter

I think cycling a one gallon would be a little hard to do...in the smaller tanks, I just personally prefer leaving them uncycled and cleaning the whole thing out altogether.

For my 100% changes (which you'll need to do if you hve an uncycled tank), I cup the betta, then use a baster to stir up the gravel and remove the poop. Then I lug the whole thing to the bathroom, dump the dirty water, and wash everything in hot water. I scrub anything that needs scrubbing with a spare toothbrush.

Pretty simple, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote