Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #1 
Relic

My Sorority Tank

Lat week something happened in my tank and most of my fish died. I couldn't figure out what happened, so I tore the tank down and cleaned it all out and re-did the whole thing. I'm gonna try a tank with female bettas. Just got it all set up and once it's cycled I'll add some fish.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
LittleWatty

Is that anubias I see planted (right back and front, as well as left front)? If it is, I'd pull them up a bit so the rhizome (basically, where the leaves and roots come out) is above the substrate. Otherwise, it'll rot.

Other than that, I love the setup :D Where'd you get the big rock on the right?
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

If you are using that as your sorority tank you will definitely need some more plant mass. The way you have it now, there is no real obstructions from one side to the other.

Sororities should ideally have as much cover as possible. I noticed the difference in my females when I stripped their tank back a bit. I had a lot more nipped fins and saw a lot more fighting than before.

Other than that it looks nice. Also agree that you need to pull your anubias rhizome out of the substrate as it will eventually rot.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #4 
Relic

Thanks for the reminder! I knew about the anubias from when I researched them several months ago..they where planted correctly in my old tank but I completely spaced it the second time around. I actually have a bunch more plants I could add. swords,some more anubias and also some more ludwigia and anacris and I was planning on adding some more crypts and maybe a java fern. I just didn't want the tank to look to crowded..but if the female bettas need it, then I have no problems adding it. I got the rock from my parents...I was at their house today and seen it by their garden pond and thought "that would look neat in a tank" so I liberated it.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #5 
Relic

Also..it's kinda hard to tell, But the white spikey thing you can see on the left side of the tank is a deer antler that I buried in the substrate.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #6 
LittleWatty

I kind'a did wonder what the spikes were... and a deer antler makes a lot of sense! That's an interesting idea too. Could work as a calcium supplement for anyone who has snails in their tanks. Just watch that it doesn't affect your pH
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #7 
Relic

I see people talking about things affecting their tanks Ph all the time. Some folks must have some really picky water, As I have never had anything affect my Ph..it always stays around 7.2-7.4 no matter what I do. When I do water changes it'll go up to about 7.4 but with in 24hrs its back down to 7.2. That goes for my planted tanks,none planted tanks and even my bare bottom tank.