Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #1 
okiemavis

Females in a community tank

I've read so many conflicting statements about female bettas that I thought I would ask, how territorial are females?. Does anyone keep female bettas in a community tank? I've got threadfin rainbowfish and honey gourami, so I always assumed they wouldn't work in my tank. However, female betta tanks apparently work for a lot of people, and if they aren't too territorial to cospecifics, I figured they'd probably be fine with most other fish as well.
Thanks!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Okiemavis, honey gouramis are more peaceful than most gourami species hence threadfins can work fine there. As for female bettas, it depends on individual personalities. I've mixed one in my community before. Unfortunately, she developed a habit of hunting down my rummy-nose tetras eventually but the rummies were still recovering from transport. She left the other fish alone provided they are not ill.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #3 
okiemavis

Yeah, I've already got the threadfins and the honey's together and they get on fine, I've never seen one look twice at the other. I love my honey's, they're so sweet- I picked them out because I wanted the friendliest gourami possible, and they've worked really great.

I was just worried that the female will pick on the gourami since they have such a quiet temperament. I was also worried she might nip at the threadfins.

I've got a friend who breeds them, I think I will try adding a very young female. He'll happily take her back if it doesn't work out, and perhaps raising her from a young age with the other fish will make her learn to leave them be.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #4 
iamntbatman

I'd be more worried about the honey gouramis going after the betta. I have two male dwarf gouramis that occassionally get into a little tussle but never do any damage to one another. However, when I temporarily put my male crowntail betta in the tank while I did some major maintenance on his tank, the dwarfs teamed up and chased him relentlessly around the tank. I'm not sure if it'd be as bad with a female since the finnage isn't as flashy and honeys are much more peaceful than dwarfs, but I'd still keep a close eye on them.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #5 
Cody

I had a Honey with a Female Betta for about 2 weeks untill the Gourami passed away. I think he was old, but that isnt the problem here. They were perfectly fine together; only time I saw them flaring at each other (or the Gourami at the betta) was when I first introduced the Honey. Other than that, nothing.

As for the Female Betta being territorial against other fish, I have rarely seen anything. Sometimes just flaring and slowly swimming after Platies, but nothing big. She thinks she is a Platy sometimes, and she always comes up to say hi to me when I am observing the tank.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #6 
It'sJames

I've kept females in my community tank with platies, cories, and an angel. They always did great. It seems that after they've gone from a community tank to living on their own for a while, it's more difficult to introduce them back into a community. So starting with a young fish would probably be a good idea. The only fish that my bettas have not done well with was a sparkling gourami. This was after the bettas had been living on their own though, so that may have had something to do with it.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #7 
okiemavis

That's really great to hear, I'm very excited to add a little girl to my tank! I'm not too worried about the gourami harassing the betta, as I have two male gourami right now and they don't bother each other at all. The tank is 6 ft long, and I have plenty of plants, including water lettuce for them to wander around in. The three of them should be able to have plenty of their own space.

Yay! I'll be sure to post on how it goes!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #8 
iamntbatman

Six feet is a ton of room and if your gouramis haven't ever even been aggressive to one another, I seriously doubt they'd bother a female betta. Sounds like a good addition.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote