Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #1 
JenPezzotti

Does this betta have septicemia?

My nephew dumped his betta off on me in a dirty container. He never cleaned the fish. I don't know how long he had him/her. I couldn't even see a fish in the water and the water smelled like raw sewage. I ended up cleaning the fish out. I noticed it had a few red veins. But I thought because his coloring is light pink it may be his coloring but in the past he seems to be getting more veins. And his belly is a bit round. But I have never had a fish so not sure if I am looking for trouble where there isn't any. I don't want to treat if the fish is fine. I just ran to petsmart and bought bettafix but haven't used it yet. Looking at pictures I think she may be laying an egg too. Adding another photo. PLEASE HELP!
Attached Images

Last edited by JenPezzotti; 08-19-2012 at 12:38 PM.
JenPezzotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 
JenPezzotti

Also wondering if she is laying eggs?

Look at this picture it looks like an egg is coming out.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

DON'T USE BETTAFIX!! It contains tea tree oil which can harm their labyrinth organ. That's not an egg, that's white stringy poo. She has internal parasites. Get Epsom Salt and a brand called "Jungle Anti-Parasite Fizz Tabs. Do as the directions say and put your Betta's food in it and try to feed her. If it doesn't eat, cover the food with garlic juice and feed her. Epsom Salt is 3 teaspoons per gallon and dissolve it 1st before putting it in her water. It's a her BTW. Septicemia usually happens when there are red streaks on her fins, I don't see it. I *think* that's her color so I'm not sure. Remember to treat her in a QT tank and do daily 100% changes. Good luck.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

It does look like she is dropping eggs and that is not uncommon-Females have unripe eggs in them all the time and drop them and either eat or not or reabsorb them on a regular basis.
Also, when they either eat or reabsorb the eggs-its not uncommon for their poop to look different-sometimes creamy/white in color for a few days-not to be confused with internal parasites and treated needlessly.....

Right now what I would recommend-clean water treatment-I would make daily 50% daily water changes for 3 days then 50% every other day for 4-5 more days-Then once we know more about your setup we can get you on a regular schedule water changes to maintain water quality.

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand. Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range.

You do need a thermometer to monitor the tank temp and to check the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.

The only chemical additive you need IMO-Is a good dechlorinator that covers chlorine and chloramine if you are on city water supply-If you are on well water you may not need it-but it won't hurt to use it either.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-If you have access to live mosquito larva offer several rinsed for one meal a day to boost protein intake to promote healing and immune response.

Info we need-tank size, additives on hand, filter, live plants and supplies you have on hand.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

That's an egg? They really look like that? :\ Well, listen to OFL. I never knew eggs looked like that, sorry.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
That's an egg? They really look like that? :\ Well, listen to OFL. I never knew eggs looked like that, sorry.
To me they look round in that pic-but I responded in his other thread with question to be clear and even if it is poop-It could be related to stress since stress can cause color changes in the fecal matter.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I never knew that, well I learn something everyday! It must be harder for females since we don't know which is it.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #8 
JenPezzotti

Picture of what she is living in now.

Right now she is in the 1/2 gallon tank my nephew brought her in with no filter or heater. I have her in the back porch which is very warm. It is where I keep my tortoises. So the room needs to be warm. I am planning on cleaning out one of my old 10 gallon turtle tanks for her at some point. Just haven't had time and get her a filter and heater. I just took a picture of the container she is in. I have noticed a lot of bubbles at the top of the water that weren't there earlier. Here are a few more pictures. I really appreciate the help. When it comes to aquatic turtles I am a pro but I have never had a fish before and because of the poor condition it was given to me in - I have been quite worried about her. She seems to be swimming fine. She won't eat beta pellets but eats the beta flakes.

Last edited by JenPezzotti; 08-19-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #9 
JenPezzotti

Picture of what she is living in now.

This is what she is living in right now.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I would keep her in the half gallon for now without a filter to give her time to adjust....

Since you have a heated room-you may not need a heater and you wouldn't want to add one to a half gallon. I would monitor the temp and make sure it is within range.

IMO/E-filters are optional for this species, however, if you plan to use a 10gal-it will be easier to add a filter and cycle the tank to make it easier for you in regards to water change needs once the nitrogen cycle has established....But you could also use live plants and/or filter. With females the filter generally doesn't cause as many issues as it can with the long fin males.

Edit-I just seen the pic....nice tank...are you sure that is only half gallon-looks bigger or she is really small....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.