Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1 
Joaquin

Location: DEEP IN DA HEARRRT OF TEXASSSS.....I hate that song.
Fin Rot question...

Hey, guys. So, I'm pretty sure my betta fish has fin rot. His fins started getting little holes, they stared shredding, and they're still shredding. Now he even has white at the tips in a couple of spots. I'm worried.

I have the Jungle Aquarium Sea Salt (Here it is: http://www.junglelabs.com/~/media/UPG/Jungle/Products/NJ0073_JAS16oz_0212.ashx?w=300&h=300&bc=transparen t&as=1&thn=1 )
and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
How much should you put in a 1 gallon tank?
Also, should I take out the silk plants/gravel away for a while?

Thanks!
Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I don't use salt to treat my fish unless it's something mayor, someone else can help you with doseage.
The wholes in his fins is a big indicator of ammonia poisoning. What's your tank size and how often do you make water changes? If it filtered?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 
Joaquin

It is a one gallon (not filtered), and I try to change it every day. Last week I didn't get to change it every single day, though, and that's when I started noticing his fins.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
It is a one gallon (not filtered), and I try to change it every day. Last week I didn't get to change it every single day, though, and that's when I started noticing his fins.
That's actually changing the water a bit too much. I do twice weekly water changes with my one gallon, one 50% and one 100%. I used to do daily water changes, but since I've stopped my fish has become much less stressed.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 
Joaquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
That's actually changing the water a bit too much. I do twice weekly water changes with my one gallon, one 50% and one 100%. I used to do daily water changes, but since I've stopped my fish has become much less stressed.
Really?...I wondered if I might've been stressing him out by doing that, but I was worried about things like ammonia or other diseases. I'm not sure what to do. How did you handle the water when your fish was sick (if he/she's been sick)?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #6 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
Really?...I wondered if I might've been stressing him out by doing that, but I was worried about things like ammonia or other diseases. I'm not sure what to do. How did you handle the water when your fish was sick (if he/she's been sick)?
The same fish that I keep in my one gallon once got a horribly torn fin. This was around the same time that I changed from once a day to twice a week for water changes. API Stress Coat did wonders for him, as well as aquarium salt. I only used 3/4 the dose of salt, though, since he is ancient. API is the ONLY stress coat I have found to do anything at all.

If you are afraid of ammonia spikes, you could use a turkey baister or one of the "betta bulbs" they sell at PetSmart to get any poop out of the bottom of the tank. There's really no difference, so go with whichever is cheaper. I'm not sure, but my money's on the turkey baister.

To keep stress levels down, what I did with his water is that I did a 100% water change and put in a 1 gallon Stress Coat dose, but only filled the tank 1/2 of the way. I put in my fish, then got a 1/2 gallon bowl, put 3/4 of 1/2 of a dose of aquarium salt in, and let it dissolve. It takes a while, so by the time that it does your fish should have settled down from the water change. If not, you can wait until you think the fish isn't stressed out anymore. After th salt dissolved, I put in 1/4 cup of the salt water into the tank every 30 minutes. You could do it every 15 minutes, but again my fish is ancient so I do everything to accommodate him. After a (long) while, you should have a full tank.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 
Joaquin

Okay, thank you, Purple! Do you keep your fish's ornaments in the tank when you are treating him?

Tags
betta fish, fin rot, medication, shredded fins, sickness