Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #31 
ukandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
oh got ya.either way the snails are going :) i do want to get some but im hesitant.7.1 is a good ph for the fish.i know they can handle more but is great at that level..

how hard is it to take care of sand?i have a 20 gallon hex i wanna setup for 1 of my females.i was going to buy play sand or pool sand.which ever i can find and is cheap.went to a local store.and couldnt find pool sand but fount the play sand..

but i wasnt too sure if its really hard to take care of or wouldnt be a problem.my dad and i like the more natural look.so we want a tank with sand as well.i already have a 2 gallon with rainbow rocks for 1 female betta.

a 10 gallon with white gravel for my male betta and rosy red minnows and my new oto..

but want sand now for my 20 gallon.read it was hard to take care of.but wasnt really sure if its worth getting..
I wouldnt go back to gravel now but its personal choice. Its really easy to look after just give it a stir with a wooden spoon once a week let it settle then I just gravel vac above to suck the dirt out. The corys help keep it turned and clean as well. Ithink my larger tank is 20 gals ish and i changed that from gravel it was a real pain but well worth it. Every tank i have has sand now.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #32 
prodrumernate

i just went out and bought 100 pounds of sand.that was tiring carrying up the stairs.especially i weigh about 120 pounds.in kilos its 45 the weight of the sand and i weigh about 54 kilos.i didnt even know i could carry that.

ill use it in my 20 gallon hex..i watched a video online on youtube of a guy explaining the same way u said to clean it several hours ago.to stir it up.and let the gravel vacuum hover about a half inch above the sand to suck up the dirt.

originally it was just going to be my female betta in the 20 gal..but i thought of getn a couple cory cats to put in as well and maybe a couple neon tetras as well.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #33 
ukandy

All my neons ended up as food but thats down to the individual fish i suppose. Im sure youll love the corys. how did you get on with the sand?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #34 
prodrumernate

my male isnt aggressive so i know he will do well with just about any other fish.if needed i can put him in with neons if i choose to get them.my female can join the community he is in rite now since my rosy red minnows are tearing up his fins.though he doesnt seem to care and chases them out of his territory.

what do u mean how did i get on with the sand?sorry, im not sure if i understand :)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #35 
ukandy

you said you got sand have youused it yet? what type and colour did you get?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #36 
prodrumernate

oh yes.i just put it in my tank yesterday..just added water to it about an hour ago...its grayish..the pictures i posted below this is the bag and about what the color looks like.i wanted white or black sand.but its too expensive.though i plan on getting some black sand when i come back from the philippines.ill just bring it from there.i already have a little from when my dad went there to meet his wife..but ill get some when i go meet mine..

once my tank settles down a little.i can take some pix of it and upload it.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #37 
kfryman

Brown algae, or diatoms, may eventually go away and you are stuck with the algae eaters and must provide dried algae like waffers. Green spot algae is way too hard for anything to really eat it, it is usually caused by a lack of nutrients I believe, forgot lol... But usually you need a coarse sponge or a razor to get it off, that is when you need to scrape off.

Amano shrimp or nerites snails probably work best, amanos can be fragile though since usually they are wild caught.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #38 
prodrumernate

the green algae is on the leaves of my plants.though it seems to kinda faded and has been replaced with diatoms.but i do have tons of that everywhere.i actually scrapped some off my glass so i could see in certain spots and not mistake it for anything else.my oto is getting a pretty belly.so i know he is eating.see him lounging on leaves at times just resting.

i do have some algae wafers here.i had a pleco but it died several months ago.so i kept the wafers for future algae eaters.

i may need to get a couple more otos though.the diatom eems to be growing faster than what they eat.