Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 
marktrc

stick hands in often?

I was just wondering when do other breeders start sticking their hands in the tank once the they have fry and then how often?

I tried to avoid sticking my hands in as much.as possible but I ended up sticking my hands in and siphoning on the 3rd day of free swimming. Now I stick my hand in there to siphon almost everyday. I try to minimize it by mostly just sticking the siphon in but my hand is in there way more then I'd like.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #2 
VictorP

What I do to avoid putting my hand in the tank when siphoning is tying a chopstick to the side of the airline tubing and just guide it around with the chopstick. At first when I spawn and there is eggs once they are free swimming I begin adding water to the tank little by little. Once it's full I'm able to stick my hand in the tank w. no problems!
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #3 
davyj0427

I do the same as victor. It gives you a great amount of control.
davyj0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #4 
VictorP

Plus I have an abundance of chopsticks so it's no problem haha
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #5 
marktrc

Thanks. What do you guys use to tie it on? I use thread to tie a piece of nylons over the tip. Its hard for me as it seems like I'm all thumbs and the thread is so thin.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #6 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
i don't have betta fry, just platy fry. . but in all my 6 tanks I got so sick of washing my hands so often that I just decided to buy a few crappy tongs at the dollar store for times when I just want to move a decoration or something easy.

I am going to get some kind of easy tweezers .. maybe baby tweezers if that exists. . for feeding. I don't need to be touching their worms and such .. . ha ha. DOLLAR STORE! I get a lot of stuff for my tanks there.

Oh sorry- I am not a breeder.

Last edited by mursey; 08-16-2012 at 11:06 PM.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The first homemade siphon I made using airline hose and a couple of chopsticks....I used twist ties to attach it....Then I use the black electric tape on my next set I made and that has worked out well-especially since the twist ties ends kept hanging up of things no matter how I smashed them down and stuff would hang up at the twist tie site since it squished it a bit in that area...lol...

I cut the airline hose tip on a slight angle and placed it about a quarter inch below the chopstick-I use 2 chopsticks to make it longer-about 24inch long more or less so I don't have to stick my hands in the tank-but I really don't worry that much even if I do have to stick my hands in the tank since I always wash my hands before I work on the tanks-both before and after as a general rule....

I use my thumb as the control valve so that I can start and stop the siphoning if a fry was to come too close...I still suck up a fry or two no matter how careful I am-I like to use a 1gal white ice cream bucket for the waste water and then I use a flashlight and shine under the bucket to make spotting the fry easier. I either use a soft/fine mesh net or the siphon to remove and place back into the fry tank-depending on how big they are.

I also use my little homemade siphon to harvest my brine shrimp...

Here is a pic of the first one I made-the new one I used the black electric tape in place of the twist ties...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #8 
davyj0427

I use electrical tape as well, makes it very sturdy.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #9 
marktrc

I'm a little worried about the electrical tape. I hope there is nothing on the tape I have that will hurt my fish.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #10 
davyj0427

I have not noticed any ill effects and I use it 1 or 2 times a week. Its just plastic and adhesive. Maybe if you were to let it soak in there for days, but for the few minutes you are cleaning it should be ok. These are just my opinion and not backed by any scientificstudies of course.