Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #1 
Unity

Mystery Snail Info

This is a three part question.

1. If my betta has bitten off the feelers of a mystery snail is there ANY way I wouldn't know? Get in there with a magnifying glass and look for something?

2. Once the feelers are gone, is the snails life essentially at an end? It is still very much alive but has not been working nearly has hard cleaning brown algae, etc.

3. Can feelers grow back?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 
MSG

1. Just observe the snail. My betta would remove any exposed part of the snail if she was hungry.
  2. No, it's not dead, but knows there's predators, so it'll move slower, be more cautious when feeding.
  3. Yes the parts can regenerate, but not faster than they get ripped off.

When the snails get attacked enough, they just curl up and die. When you notice the fungus cloud forming around the outside, it's time to remove them & use as plant fertilizer.

How big is your snail?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
This is a three part question.

1. If my betta has bitten off the feelers of a mystery snail is there ANY way I wouldn't know? Get in there with a magnifying glass and look for something?

2. Once the feelers are gone, is the snails life essentially at an end? It is still very much alive but has not been working nearly has hard cleaning brown algae, etc.

3. Can feelers grow back?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mystery snails have 2 different sets of "feelers", there are the really long antennae on top of their head & a smaller set around the mouth. The Bettas, especially in the beginning, a lot of times will pick on the snail, nipping the longer antennae off. The snails life is not over, the antennae will grow back as long as the Betta quits picking on it. I bought 4 snails at the same time, 2 went into my 46g, 1 each into my 2 10g tanks, all of them lost their long antennae, 3 of the 4 had them all grown back within 2-3 weeks. The 4th it seems is still getting picked on after a month so I may move him. Snails are not always active they can go long periods of time with little to no movement. If you haven't seen yours move in a day or two, pick him or her up & smell, if it's dead you will know by the god awful smell. And if I'm not mistaken they don't necessarily eat every type of algae.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #4 
Silverfang

Shellieca is correct. They can and do regrow antennae, however some bettas are meanies who keep biting them off. I know my snails shrink back into their shell when they sense someone or something. They know when a hand is in the tank, when something touches the shell, or if there is vibration on the tank.

Snails are smart. They know to be cautious when they have been picked on in the past.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote