Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #21 
Sakura8

The truly bizarre part about this is his fins now look exactly like a crowntail's. o.O But I've never heard of a VT regressing to crowntail before. I don't see any black edging that could mean infection/fin rot but nor do I see white regrowth meaning he's working his way back to being a VT. This is truly unique.

Since he seems to be acting perfectly normal, I'm very reluctant to suggest anything else other than what you are already doing. Keep in mind that AQ salt can only be used for about 14 days maximum, though. If you have any naturally dried oak leaves available to you, you can add one of those to his tank until the water turns tea colored. Indian Almond Leaf works best if you can find it. These add tannins that are beneficial for the healing process and help ward off infection.

Anhel is correct that frozen foods high in protein like bloodworms are great for the healing process. Feed 2-5 worms a day, alternating with his pellets.

If his behavior continues to be normal, then my best guess is somehow his genetic background kicked in and he reverted to crowntail.

Kudos to you for giving him such a great home and loving care.

As for the whiteish stuff you've been vacuuming up. That is probably a mixture of bacteria/slime that just naturally happens in tanks and shed excess slime coat. AQ salt helps to stimulate slime coat production so he is probably now shedding some of it off.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #22 
ANHEL123

Sakura thank you for fast response! That what was confusing to me too. From VT to crown tail wow. And he looks pretty good lol
I was doing stuff around the house and it came to my mind that he has stress coat adding to his water that also can cause the slime coat.

Also Jake was doing bath for 30 min which is not really helping 1tsp/gall bath 30 min. I suggested to switch to regular aq salt treatment 1tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes and betta acclimation.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #23 
Sakura8

Haha, yeah, I'm usually not on that early but I couldn't sleep (7AM pacific time). Good suggestion about switching to the regular treatment. :)

He does look pretty good as a CT, doesn't he? :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #24 
Jake3698

I just started adding the stress coat yesterday, i have been noticing the whiteish stuff for a couple days now. He does look really cool as a CT, but somehow i just feel like its wrong. He seems perfectly fine.
Although it worries me a little that he likes to hide under the blue/purple small plant in the left front of the tank (you can see it in the pictures) he stays under there for a couple minutes at a time before coming up for air then he swims around for 30-40 minutes before he slows down and relaxes. Today im not sure if he didnt see the food or he wasnt hungry, but i had to put 5 pellets in before he actually ate 2. He ate 1 right away, and then he ate the last one i put in, but missed all the other ones entirely.
Is that even genetically possible for a vt ro revert to a ct? Its kinda funny though, i remember seeing a picture of a black CT named spike the fierce on here and i thought he was awesome.. then a day or two later my betta's fins started to tear.. and now this is where we are at.
Jake3698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

Just like Sakura wrote continue with aq salt. But follow instructions that i wrote for you.
I would think if he stays under his plant for a few minutes and then swims around 30-40 min he should be fine. Is he going under his plant after he swims 30-40 min?

I would worry if he would hide or stay under plant for 30-40 min then swim to the surface for 2 min and go under the plant again. If he will stay at the bottom of the tank or hiding all day. I would worry if he would refused to eat at all. If he will develop any other symptoms OR his tail will deteriorate. So just observe and if you really think something is wrong give us update.
Good luck.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote