Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 
Kelly0727

Grizzle and bubbles spawn

So originally I told myself I wasn't going to start this spawn log until at least a week after the fry hatched. But I got some bad news and needed a distraction that would keep me busy, plus I'm hoping if anything goes wrong someone might be able to help along the way because I don't want a repeat of last time.

So here I go!!

Friday, August 17, 2012

Around 5pm I put both male and female into the tank using the shock method. These two beat each other up pretty bad last time so I kept a close eye on them. Funny thing though, grizzle had bubbles follow him for 5 minutes straight going around in circles. So I was no longer very worried.

At 6 I watched them wrap! There was no bubble nest, but they wrapped.. and wrapped.. and wrapped.. then bubbles ate the eggs... and they wrapped! All I could think was "Ahh!!! stop eating my eggs!!" She didn't do that last time, so I turned the lights off hoping it would calm her down.

Fell asleep, and woke up at 8 to find bubbles on the other side of the tank and grizzle chasing her away. It was time for her to come out he demanded! Still no bubble nest but sneaky grizzle has eggs propped up along the edge of the foam cup that's floating inside. Not a lot of eggs since bubbles has eaten most of them... but there's eggs regardless!

Not sure if you can see.. but this is the cup with the eggs propped up on the side.

Here's grizzle showing his torn fins. I wont lie his fins weren't fully grown back from his tail biting tantrum. But he was healthy, no fin rot and a LOT of fin regrowth that came back quickly, so the damage isn't as bad as I thought.

Bubbles on the other hand I am scared for. On one side of her belly she looks as if she is swelling a bit. He nipped her pretty good that shes missing a few scales.. in fact one is still half off. But shes swimming fine, and eating like a little pig so she is in clean water with AQ salt being watched closer by tiger (my cat which sticks to my side 24/7).
Bubbles good side:

Bubbles bad side:

The top of bubbles showing one side poking out more:

I don't have live plants in there or IAL since last time it put a lot of gunk on the bottom of the tank which made me paranoid to the point I didn't sleep for a week! But I have micro worms, walter worms, and banana worms just waiting to be harvested so food is ready and I figured if the eggs weren't fertile that grizzle would have eaten them by now so hoping for the best!
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 
Kelly0727

Sunday August 19, 2012

It's 12:20am and I was just doing some finishing touches to pewe my latest rescue new tank when I noticed that Grizzle was a bit more active than normal. Taking a flash light I saw a small egg with a tail drop down! They are hatching surprisingly quick.

Since it's a small spawn he isn't freaking out trying to catch them all. :) I believe he is actually enjoying himself now that he has something to do. It's getting close to the time where I lost my last spawn so I'm a little nervous.. I hope nothing happens this time.

On a note about bubbles, she is healing pretty well but now instead of having a clear tummy like normal it has turn black.. I'm not exactly sure if that is normal.. so shes still under a watchful eye.. But still acting healthy and eating like a little piggy so there's no signs of stress or anything. :)
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #3 
Tyler

Congrats :)
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #4 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Congrats :)
Thank you :)
Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #5 
Kelly0727

Monday August 20, 2012

Happy birthday to the 1 day old fry!! Our next goal, a week!

They are now 1 day old, I would take pictures if only my camera could actually focus on them. We did have a random scare from an ammonia spike but am doing small water changes already and hoping that it was a false reading.

Grizzle has been wonderful with the fry. Due to it being a small spawn he isn't over whelmed and is not getting upset with the water changes that I have done.

Bubbles has fully healed now! She still has a black tummy on one side of her body.. but she is no longer swollen and all wounds healed up nicely.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #6 
tpocicat

Maybe the black is a bruise and will disappear in time IDK.
Congratulations on the fry. Sounds like you have everything in hand, although I wouldn't worry about IAL making a mess, that's natural.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #7 
Kelly0727

Thanks :) I'm hoping it is just a bruise, it is slowly going away after all. OFL said the same thing about the IAL.. which I figured that out myself after I noticed there was still stuff on the bottom of the tank. I am completely puzzled with it.

I havent put any food in there and there was nothing that could actually make a mess in there but yet.. there is. So my second guess is maybe somethings weird about my water?

Testing the theory by getting a really big tub and filling it with water along with putting some plants in it. Going to let it sit for a few days and start using that for water changes. Then see if there is any difference.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #8 
marktrc

Happy birthday. :)
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #9 
Tyler

Could you show us a picture of the black part, because my female betta ,who has a cellophane body, has a black stomach where the eggs are. She's been acting kind of odd, so I hope she doesn't have anything :/
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Could you show us a picture of the black part, because my female betta ,who has a cellophane body, has a black stomach where the eggs are. She's been acting kind of odd, so I hope she doesn't have anything :/
The black has cleared up a lot so it wont show much in the picture, plus she moves so much its hard to get a good photo. I did notice that when ever she ate a little to much it would show more though.. Also bubbles was still a little eggy when I took her out.. Maybe its when they are eggy?

Can you try to explain how shes acting odd? Sometimes its easier to find out if theres something wrong or not by how they are acting instead of signs on the body. If I ever find the black come back on bubbles tummy I will try to get a photo for you.