Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orito View Post
I'm going to be up most of the night watching him. I have him in no light conditions right now. Guess I'll update with the good, or (heaven forbid) the bad news tomorrow morning.
I'm so sorry you are stressing...first thing tomorrow get a thermometer, and maybe some betta safe. Both are at walmart and pretty cheap, it's a good start to know how much water conditioner, and what the temp in the tank is. I bet he'll be just fine..sorry, I'm not more help.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #12 
LionCalie

IMO, 1 gallon is the absolute minimum size requirement for a pet Betta. I highly recommend 2.5 gallon or larger. They are easier to heat and don't need as frequent cleaning. There is more space for swimming and decorations, which is important for mental stimulation. With that said, there are some Betta's that actually do better in 1 gallon. I just have yet to experience it myself.

You made a smart move in taking out the filter. It was taking up a lot of swimming space and in a tank that size you wont hold a cycle, so having one wasn't doing any good. I definitely agree that you need to get a thermometer so you can see what the temp is. Betta fish are tropical, they do best at 76 F - 82 F.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #13 
Aus

I'm sorry your betta's feeling unwell. It could be that he's having trouble adjusting to the new water - water can be very different from area to area, with different minerals and pH levels, so it's important to get fish slowly used to any new conditions.

Some Stress Guard may help him in the transition, I use it for several water changes with every new fish. It really does help them to settle in.

Some java moss and a little Indian Almond Leaf (ketapang) - just a quarter of a leaf for a small tank - will give him nice dark water with natural healthful properties and something to rest and hide in, which will also help him out as far as transition stress goes.

I have a sickly little betta that I keep in 1.5 gallons - now he's stronger, he's due for a slightly bigger home but I think even 5 gallons would be too much for him. On the other hand, my big plakat would leap out of 1 gallon and bite me on the nose, I think - he occupies every inch of his 10 gallon. It really depends on the fish as to what tank size makes them happiest. You seem pretty sensitive to his care, so you'll no doubt get a sense once he's settled as to whether he would prefer more room or not.

Keep up regular water changes, and invest in a test kit so you know what routine to make. I change my 1.5 gallon 75-100% every other day, to keep the ammonia as low as possible.

I hope he recovers soon.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #14 
Orito

Great news! I passed out last night, and he was still lingering, but this morning, after eating, he's back to his normal self! All crazy and stuff!

I'll probably look into a bigger tank once I get more settled in, possibly some friends (not other male betta's obviously).

Thanks everyone for your advice and help.

P.S. I will be going to pickup a water test kit this morning.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #15 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Happy to hear he is back to normal, it would also be good if you could get something to check the temp of his water. When you can get a bigger tank for him at least a 2.5 gallon and he will love all the extra room to swim in and you will enjoy watching him even more ! If that bowl he is in now came in a bigger size that would very nice.

And as someone said be careful with those plants or better yet get something soft that will not rip his fins, anything that can rip nylon pantyhose can rip their fins. Something with some leaves on it would be great as he could rest and sleep on those.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 08-20-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #16 
Orito

Honestly, I liked the bowl when I got it, but after having it, I don't think I'd recommend it. Even if I were to get a thermometer, there would be no place to put it, from what I've seen they're long, and globe bowls like this aren't suitable.

Nah, if I were to buy a bigger tank, it'd be rectangular.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #17 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh thats right I didnt think about that your right. I have a 5 gallon Hexagon shape tank I love it and it doesnt take up to much room and plenty of room inside for caves and decorations . Amazon has it on sell right now for 30 something dollars with free shipping or they did last week.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #18 
Goldie2nd

I just moved my Betta make Neon to that One Gallon tank the;s very happy to there instead of the 10 gallon tank he was in. Now he;s gotten better and I change his water %100 every day because he gotten pop eye so is sort of his quaritine tank, but thinking of leaving him there for good since I'm cleaning his bowl eveyr day. For 14days and using aquasalt. he eats better now, he's bubble nesting and his eyes have gotten down to normal size and he's actually very active and playful in there sometimes some fish like smaller setting and to be alone not all bettas need a big tank to be happy. Though a smaller than a 1 gallon si just cruel. I have my ten gallon with a sucker fish, two mollies and five guppies.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

How big is that tank? I'd be shocked if that is 1 gallon, looks smaller to me. :/

Good luck, I admire that youre trying to discover what is best for the little guy!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #20 
Goldie2nd

Um is the same size as the one in the picture of this poster. I'll take a picture sometime. All I know is that he is genually happier being in there on his own with no too much space to scare him before he would mostly stay in one corner and now he has no competition for eating and is just less stressed and hapier.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote