Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #1 
Goldie2nd

Guppies in a 10 gallon

So today I have decided to just stay with the Guppies in my 10 gallon tank. I'll be giving back the Pleco and Mollies to the store because in all honesty it would be cruel for me to keep them in such a small setting. I should have done more research as I did ffor my betta. I have howver done reaserch for the Guppies and Neon Tetras but decided on the Guppies. The Guppies have more color paters and varieations and are such interesting little fish. Hope this makes me a resposible fish owner. Because I know I can;t get an even bigger tank for these fish. Someone else might be able to.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 
Laki

You should only get males or only females. Males are the ones with the long colorful tails. Guppies breed like rabbits. You will be over run in no time. So please only get one gender!!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 
Goldie2nd

Ah well I made a huge boboo with all the fishies and now I have more than I can chew on. I stil have the Pleco, The two Male Mollies and Tow female Guppies and Three Male Guppies. So I'm royaly screwd I thought of getting just male guppies though but got tweo females instead it was the guys fault oh well. I might buy a bigger tank soon though. When I can get some money for it.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #4 
SDragon

You could always feed the baby guppies to your bettas.
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #5 
Laki

I think at a certain size guppies become much better swimmers. They could never supply a betta as a food source unless they are crippled in some way.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #6 
Goldie2nd

Sadly grave news alll my fish died first two on my ride home back from the store, then the sukcer which hardly ate and the guppies next. It has been really, really sad, but I will look on the bright side they are better off since even though I did my very best the water still smelled fowl there unlike my betta's Neon's home, he's supper clean. I shall aquire two more Betta 1 gallon fish bowls I think is for the best keep them clean and healthy.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #7 
Laki

I would try to figure out why all the fish died before going to get more.
What size tank? 10g.. Ok what kind of filter, heater, gravel and decorations? Were they cleaned? If so, what were they cleaned in?
What I advise you do is clean everything in the 10g with hot water and a mild watered down solution with plain white vinegar and rinse it very well. Throw out the filter cartridge and get a new one without carbon, fill the tank and let it run for a few days without fish in it. Beneficial bacteria can only grow if you add a fish so you'll have to put some fish in then, DO NOT add a pile of new fish at once. One fish, 2 at most, will suffice for the fist 2 weeks or so. This will allow the water chemistry to balance. Then you can add a couple more fish and wait a few weeks and then add more. Until you're at your max for a 10 gallon.

What I think you did was plunk in a pile of new fish without ever putting them in quarentine (which means putting them in a small tank before introducing them to your community tank to see if there are any illnesses from the store). Water chemistry is a very sensitive thing in a closed environment like an aquarium.
Don't go get two more 1 gallon bowls. You can do better for your bettas.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 
Goldie2nd

Well I think the sucker fish was already sick and I did not quarintine the other so it was all fetal. I did change and clean the tank more than once though. I don;t know something went wrong. Um i prefer the 1 gallon bowl if enything I'll get 3 gallon tanks and put them in the 10 gallon. It will look interesting. I know but I ight buy a 3 gallon for each. For now I only have one Betta. He's fine in the 1 gallon he;s more active and happier so that's why I thought of 1 gallon for the other ones. Will see I understand where you;re comming from but I have to do what I think is best for the fish this way is eeasier for me to keep them clean and happy.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #9 
Laki

The reason the betta seems happier in the 1g is because he is alone. Bettas don't do well in all community tanks and considering something seems to have been wrong with the chemistry than no wonder he is happier in water that is cleaned twice a week! Get one 3g kritter keeper (they're extremely cheap) and see how Neon does in it first before buying more 1g.
I think 1gallons are okay but after moving my fish to larger tanks and noticing their improved personalities I won't put them back in a 1g. I keep my 2 in a divided 5.5g tank and my VT is letting his tail grow back because in a smaller tank he was bored and chewed his tail. 1g are fine for temporary use IMO.
Just try out the slightly bigger tank now with Neon, give him a cave, a heater and some plants to weave through and things to explore and see if you still want 1 gallon bowls.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #10 
Goldie2nd

Ok will do will do that thanks!