Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #121 
TheCheese909

I'm going to try and keep this as short as I can lol, I have a hard time doing that though..

I have a cat who has a super sensitive stomach and seems to be allergic (? if that's the right word) to a lot of things. When she first showed up on my door step in 2006 she was able to eat whatever type of cat food I gave her. All the crappy stuff you know, Meow Mix, Whiskas, iams, exc. After almost a year she started throwing up almost daily then she started having seizures. They were few and far between for awhile but then they were several times a month along with throwing up almost everytime she ate.

I switched her to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and that made it worse. Seizures daily, throwing up every time she ate... I switched her again to Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach and that worked for about a year and a half then the company went on strike. Unfortunately they were on strike for 3 months or so, so I had to switch her to something similar, which since Eukanuba is owned by Iams (or visa versa) and their ingredients are about the same I moved her to that which was bad, but not terrible. Not throwing up but once a week and a seizure about once or twice a month. But still, not good. Then the Eukanuba came back around so I moved her back to that.

However, something happened during that time to the food, I don't know if they started making the cat food from some cheaper form of chicken and other fillers but Bunny (my cat) started having seizures again and throwing up again. Before her seizures happened while she was sleeping but they changed to where she could be awake also. Now this was during the time acouple years ago when chickens were getting sick and there was a big recall on them and stuff like that..

So I went hunting for something that would be good for her, something new. I read every label I could on all the cat food brands out there. During that time I reread all the labels of the foods she had eaten before and saw they all had chicken & turkey and other poultry byproducts. I wanted to find something that didn't have that at all, no poultry.

I finally came across SIMPLY NOURISH Limited Ingredient Diet. I grabbed a bag of their Salmon And Sweet Potato and read the ingredients and you know what, it was amazing! I had read though the Blue Buffalo or Blue Mountain and all those other brands of cat food and they all had fillers and still had a ton of crap in them. This stuff however had just good stuff, things that I know what they are. No road kill, nothing bad.

"Dried Sweet Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Salmon, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Dried Cranberries, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, L-ascorbyl-polyphosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Taurine."

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11496999

I bought her a bag (this was early last year or late 2010) and it's been happy days since. The food doesn't make her throw up nor does it give her seizures. She's very healthy, she doesn't have horrible cat breath, her coat is nice and shiny and she seems much happier.

Since then I've figured out she cannot eat chicken, turkey, beef or tuna. I've been giving her canned food from certain brands. There are only a handful that she can eat from as many have chicken meal or turkey meal in there somewhere. But she's able to eat duck, salmon, crab, venison, swordfish & sardines. :) she's very happy and healthy now.

--Now about the dog food--

I adopted an 11 year old English Bull Terrier April 13th of last year. His previous owners had fed him Iams and had had him on that since he was a puppy. He also had some fur missing from his tail, which a lot of BTs have problems with, missing fur, it's kinda a genetic thing that can be treated.

Anyway, after a few months of having Lloyd I noticed that whenever he got done eating he would lick his lips like the top of his mouth itched- he did that too whenever we gave him his cookies. Bunny started throwing up once in awhile too, though that was because she was sneaking a bite of Lloyd's food when he wasn't looking.

I started adding liquid Salmon Oil to Lloyd's food to help with the regrowth of his tail fur (which worked amazingly) and I switched him to Iams Senior Dog Food.. I didn't like using Iams, but since that's what he had been fed pretty much his whole life I didn't want to stray from it. But he started getting horrendous gas, and I mean BAD. lol.. He was an old man and had gas anyway, but it was awful! Then he started throwing up.. annnnd then the seizures came.

Now with Lloyd his seizures weren't like Bunny's at all. These ones were from when he would get too excited (he had a heart murmur as well as a tumor on his leg, we assumed he had a tumor or tumors in his heart as well), he would run around the house and do a "Hucklebutt" (here's him shortly after we first got him doing one -no seizure- http://youtu.be/W6u1qWT50og ) then collapse and seize then be up with his tail wagging wanting cookies and pets. Before (like the video above) he was able to run around and not have any problems at all.

Anyway, I found Simply Nourish had the same thing for dogs as what my cat was eating. Had almost the exact same ingredients as well, but instead of cranberries it had tomatoes.

"Dried Sweet Potato, Salmon Meal, Salmon, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Dried Carrots, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-ascorbyl-polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride."

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11394947

I moved him over to that and got him better cookies to eat as well. He stopped throwing up and his seizures stopped as well. Occasionally when my dad would wind him up too much (not on purpose, Lloyd was just such a happy dog) and he would have a seizure, but thankfully they weren't as bad as what they were before. He started looking more fit too, his old food made him bloated, which we didn't realize since he looked like that when we got him too, we kinda just thought he was a bit chubby. He was also more active, he wanted to go on more walks and was just as happy as a Lloyd could be.

Unfortunately we only had Lloyd for a year before he passed away. He was an old man and had some problems that eventually got to him.

I personally think Simply Nourish's Limited Ingredient Diet is the best food you can buy. I've looked at multiple different labels since and everything else still isn't as good. They all have some type of chicken or turkey byproduct or some type of "animal fat" or "animal byproduct", which is just road kill mostly or left overs from slaughter houses. It's just a mix of who knows what.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #122 
LebronTheBetta

I feel intimidated. Well, I'll try and try again! I have a family trait of not failing tests even if we don't study. xD I'll study for things like this, though. An animal's health should not be dealt with carelessly. Let alone hardly anyone passes...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #123 
Laki

I'm glad your pets are doing fine on that sweet potato food! But IMHO meat should make the first ingredient as the protein source. Especially for cats, as obligate carnivores.
As always, this goes to show everybody's experiences are different.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #124 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Okay. Just be aware, Vet school is next to impossible to get through. A lot of students crack only after the first year. Only hard work and perseverance are going to help you make it.
I agree, it takes a lot of math and science smarts to be a vet, moreso than a doctor for humans. There is only one kind of human and many types of animals so it's harder in all ways.

Then once you get into a practice you have to deal with personalities of other vets and that is not easy. I think most vets are a little on the strange/eccentric side

Then if you start your own practice you have the business side to deal with. Lots of people won't be able to pay and you will have to turn them away or your practice will go under. A vet is not a charity, it's a business that must make money or die.

Most vets will not even deal with an animal if it is brought in by someone who just found it hurt in the street. They need to know an owner will pay for that animal and then take it home. They will just tell you to take it to the pound. Lots of vets refuse to spay feral cats. It's all business with most vets.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #125 
Laki

ha, tell me about it.
I can't afford to take my bunny in for her abscess again. I had her in in June and they didn't fully drain it. Charged me 260$.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #126 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
I personally think Simply Nourish's Limited Ingredient Diet is the best food you can buy.
Used to be you could only get L.I.D. through a vet prescription. These days there are lots of them on the market. I give my cats Natural Balance L.I.D. and their IBS has greatly improved. It's expensive but worth it!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #127 
Pitluvs

For our dog we feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, as she is a senior and has disloated knee caps so weight management is a big thing for us. We only feed grain free with her, she has a grain allergy which came about after we fed her the "new" Pedigree Healthy Vitality years ago. I have never been happier with a choice of dog food. It's a 5/6 on the dog food site, the price is great for us ($50/month) and she won't touch anything else now! The first ingredients are whole salmon and sweet potatoes... I always feed my animals a food with a meat ingredient first.

With our cats, we feed Felidae. Years ago I used to feed it to my ferrets, while my cats had store brands. My cats would throw up the store brand constantly, the litter box was horrid and they were shedding like crazy. Their eyes were so dull. I noticed they started eating the Felidae that the ferrets woulds tore behind the TV in a container so I started feeding it to them. Everything STOPPED within the month, no throwing up, eyes bright and clear, teeth improved color, and I had happy healthy cats again. It's like they were kittens. So I still feed it.

My mothers cat, Mater, ended up with severe bladder issues. $1000 later in vet bills, she was told to feed Science Diet cat food for bladder infections... $2000 later and a nearly dead cat, I told her to JUNK THE VET FOOD and get that boy on grain free. She switched him imediately to Taste of the Wild and a year later you would never know Mater ever had an issue. I would not feed my animals anything from a groc store or a vet (and yes, Science Diet does pay towards Vet's tuition if they push their foods when they open up their practice). No Sir, not my babies.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 08-21-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #128 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I would not feed my animals anything from a groc store or a vet (and yes, Science Diet does pay towards Vet's tuition if they push their foods when they open up their practice). No Sir, not my babies.
+1
Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #129 
Frazzle

I work at Ingram Micro, and we ship everything from iPods, to dog food.

While picking dog food, I always would read the ingredients, and IMO, Orijen seems pretty darn good. The bags are also airtight, leaving freshness in.
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #130 
Laki

+1.
Grain free for my cat too.