Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
fishchick6485

Question Should I Get A Betta Fish After Winter????

Should I get A new betta fish??? Since i'm moving Sprinkles to a 2.5 Gallon tank, maybe I can put a new betta inside her old 1 Gallon bowl??? I wouldn't have to buy anything for the new betta for awhile, because I have 10 pounds of gravel, and the pellet food and treat I give Sprinkles are Huge... I would only have to buy a few decor for Sprinkles, And I was going to do it from the start...

I know the bowl isn't fantastic, But it's better than those small plastic cups! I was also planning on buying a juvenile, if I can, Because I know when the new stock of betta fish come in, which is every saturaday at my local petsmart, and there's ALWAYS 5 or 6 babies that come in...

So do you think I should buy a betta after winter???
fishchick6485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 
Goldie2nd

Um Don't know I'm sure he can live fine in a 1 ggallon but think about it if you;re moving Spinckles to a a slighly bigger set up would it be wise to do this? Just pointing it out. I'm moving my Betta Neon to a 10 gallon soon just keeping one fish in tthis house more than one is too much.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 
fishchick6485

Hmm..... Guess your right!!! And if your wondering why im saying After Winter, it's because I moved Sprinkles out in the first place to put a heater in the new tank, but you can't put a Heater in the bowl.... I pretty much already bought the tank and heater.... no filter cuz im afraid it might suck sprinkles up :/ She's so small... she's still a juvenile, but not a baby, kinda like a almost-not-a-toddler-anymore, if you know what i'm saying...
Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 
Goldie2nd

Yep aww so cute! You did good then real good. I'm keeping my one Betta myself in a 10 gallon tank. Don;t have the money for more really. Wish I could keep more but can only keep one. In the end I rather just have one happy HEALTHY fish than a thousand sickly fish.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #5 
DiiQue

Hmm.. One of my rules that I strictly follow is that if I need to ask others whether or not it was okay for me to do <fill in the blank>, then it's probably not a good idea.

Since you are planning on getting a new fish after winter, then see if you can save up for a bigger tank and heater and then purchase a new buddy. I know it's hard to keep just one, but you need to make sure you have everything ready for the new fish from the start... =)
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 
fishchick6485

Goldie2nd-

That's actually true... I'm actually a little scared... The only thing that's bad about having ALOT of fish... is that the outcome is usually that one would die the first week.....
Old 08-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #7 
fishchick6485

DiiQue-

Your right, too... I'm just gonna stick to 1 betta fish then... for now :) Jk, what maybe I should do is when my one fish dies... i'll get another.... does that work????
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 
Goldie2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchick6485 View Post
Goldie2nd-

That's actually true... I'm actually a little scared... The only thing that's bad about having ALOT of fish... is that the outcome is usually that one would die the first week.....
Well decided on keeping Neon in his 1 gallon he's happier there he does not like the ten gallon one is hard for him to swim in., he's healthier now and actually poops and flares and everything, before he could not even do that! So one down two to go cus I want more fish lets face it LOL. I want two more Bettas in a 1 gallon bowl it seems they are happy in those. At leats my neon is.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 
fishchick6485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie2nd View Post
Well decided on keeping Neon in his 1 gallon he's happier there he does not like the ten gallon one is hard for him to swim in., he's healthier now and actually poops and flares and everything, before he could not even do that! So one down two to go cus I want more fish lets face it LOL. I want two more Bettas in a 1 gallon bowl it seems they are happy in those. At leats my neon is.
Some betta's don't like BIG tanks... They like big tanks, but not so big.... c'mon, betta's ARE territorial, and a 10 Gallon would make him a nervous wreck! A 1 Gallon isn't so small... That's how I first started out and Sprinkles was as happy as a cucumber! Then I moved her to the 2.5, and swims ALOT more and more faster! bigger IS better, But to big can sometimes lead to problems... That's what I say....
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

I like to stick with my single fish... and stick to buying plants. A baby wil be fun, but you might still need a heater as they prefer warmer temperatures.
I myself am really the small tank type.... I'm too attached to my 2.5 XD but I bet my betta can take on a 10 or 20gallon. he was born fearless that way :O I even have my filter on full blast for him. He also flares all day at his reflection and chases the shrimps.

You can also keep the 1 gal for quaratine or emergencies or shrimp! or if you have plants... extra plants! lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote