Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #1 
missketie

Betta has hole on fin

OMG! Today I found a hole on my Betta's dorsal fin. It's very small but I don't know what it is. It wasn't there yesterday.

I put him in a 5.5 gallon tank last Sunday (he came from a 1 gallon tank), it has a filter, some real plants and some fake plants (all are fabric not plastic), he has two toy columns that he likes to hangout in and I checked those and there isn't any sharp edges, and the water goes between 80-82F depending on the time of day. And, none of my aquarium stones are sharp either.

He didn't have a filter in the 1 gallon tank, so could he be stressed out about it? Would he be able to reach and nip his dorsal fin?

I couldn't take clear pictures but I'll try to get some pics and post them later. In the meantime what should I do about it? I've turned off the filter until tomorrow when I can make a water change, but what else should I do?
missketie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 
Myates

Is the hole in the middle of the fin, or the edges?
If in the middle most likely the filter is a bit too strong and needs to be baffled.
A lot of people use aq sponges in the outflow section (held on by a rubber band) to help make the water a bit smoother.

Your guy may have also made it himself by over flaring/flexing while swimming.
Stretching those muscles is good for them.

And if it's on the edge.. don't be surprised if he bit it, they just need to reach a tiny bit to rip off a whole chunk- you'll be amazed just how flexible they can be.

If you didn't cycle the tank properly before placing him in, test it to see if there was an ammonia spike, as sometimes high ammonia can create pinholes in their fins. If it was properly cycled, test it just to make sure (as usually there is an increase in ammonia once a fish is placed in).
If there is ammonia greater then .25ppm, then recommend to do a 30-50% water change with full dose of water conditioner.

Otherwise, there is nothing you can do to fix the hole other then keep up with your weekly water changes and make sure you are feeding him a good diet high in protein.

Last edited by Myates; 08-15-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #3 
missketie

Oh! Thank you so much!

It was in the middle, and it really might be the filter because he doesn't like to swim at the back of the tank because the current keeps pushing him down. I'll try that trick to slow the current down.

I checked his ammonia levels after I changed 50% of the water, and it was at .25 so I put some ammonia remover and it says I have to check again in 2 hours. I'll post some updates later.

Thanks! :)
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #4 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Ammonia removers don't always work well :) The best ammonia removing technique is to clean the tank ;) This has happened to a couple of my halfmoons I've had before, occasionally if they flare too much this will happen. Also, during the summer after water changes this seems to happen to my bettas, something about the water always makes this happen at least once or twice every summer to me. Within a couple days of clean water they should be happy as can be though, and the fins always heal up nicely. :) To help his fins heal, you can try adding some stress coat, bettafix, or aquarium salt to your tank, they are not necessary but speed up the process. These can be found at most pet stores very cheaply. Hope your betta gets better!
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 
missketie

Thank you!

I have some Bettafix because his fins tore during my very first water change. I stopped using it because the tear was starting to heal, but I'll try using it again to heal the hole. Then I'll change the water again.

Should I add some aquarium salt too? Or is that taking things to the extreme? I probably worry too much. lol.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

He doesn't NEED anything for his fins, because they will heal on their own. But adding aquarium salt and bettafix definitely speed up the process and prevent any sort of secondary infection :) I say if you have aquarium salt, you can add it too. But if not, don't worry as the bettafix and clean water will help the fins heal fine by themselves.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

+1 ^
HOWEVER, the Bettafix will have a chance to hurt his labyrinth organ as it contains tea tree oil. Any medication with -fix contains that. Just don't add anything and you're fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #8 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

I never knew that, I have used bettafix on multiple occasions over the past 4 or 5 years, with no problems.