Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #21 
Friendlyfishies

im fortunate to still live at home, I work full time and have many many many animals...my paycheck goes to them and gas first, then me...I havent bought new clothes in months! lol...but my clothes are fine, I just need some bigger pants since I gained some weight lately LOL. But yes, I just got back into bettas and im getting grumped at by everyone for spending money on a "fish" ...they complain that I go over to top for a silly little fish, why cant I just stay simple like everyone else...they keep saying "oh bettas live in rice pattys you dont need all this stuff for a easy to keep "fish" its a constant argument lol...i just ignore them and keep provided for my pets...im happy, their happy, why do ppl have to give me a hard time? lol...it is expensive tho...i think I spent over $100 on my betta this past week setting him up correctly and probably the same for guppy tank...kicker is the guppies are all dying and ive had to throw away $50 worth in decor..sucks!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #22 
Goldie2nd

Well for me I have that now empty 10 gallon tank, But I plan to keep two Betta 1 gallon bowls in there, since really my one and only betta right now is doing fine in is 1 gallon. He is actually more active and more happy in a small area. I really think and know is what's best for MY fish. I did what I could to care for all my fishies but word of warning, DON'T buy the fish at walmart buy them at a local pet store or something. Fishes in walmart are dead or sick. Or both! That was my mistake in the buying the fish for my 10 gallon aqaurium. Anyways look I have read everything in here and while I know a lot about Bettas well enough from what I have throughly researched sometimes we must do what WE as pet owners think si best for our fish. I might end up buying a divider and keep the fish in the ten gallon as a 5 gallon for each don't know yet. But I would still need to get the 1 gallon bowl tank things from Walmart only pet supplies i shall get from walmart NO MORE FISH FROM WALMART!
Either way I do everything and have spent a lot of money on my fish and later on fishes. Is incredible between the supplies and decorations and everything keeping a helthy and happy fish is expensive. From what I've realized from this past few days I rather keep bettas they are the best kind of fish for me. As long as I keep their 1 gallon bowls clean buy a heating pad to only turn on at night they should be fine. Trust me at least in my place. When winter comes I'll turn on the pad sooner than when I turn on the air conditioner.
But I agree if you can't care for one fish why take more in even if you think ,you're rescuing them. I'm happy with my one Walmart rescue but that is it.
I just wante people here to also understand two things what was said was and is very true on this post but... the owner of a fish isstill responsible in all ways for that life and so they must do what they think is best for them. For now Neone is my little survivor and my only pet. I won;t get any other Bettas for a while till I have shopped around if you will and seen all the Bettas out there that are not dead nor sick and not from walmart. Sorry walmart as a retailer you;re awesome as a pet keeper you suck.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #23 
katydidmischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I would rather spoil one fish than barely keep up with the needs of several.
I totally agree. Why have six of them in lousy conditions when you could have one in a palace? They'll love you all the more if you care for them right.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #24 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jully View Post
Some families are poor, yes they may have Iphones and cameras and such, doesn't mean they are rich.
Just going to nitpick on this sentence. (Not at you, Jully just in general)

I really dislike how people do this. They can barely afford to live and yet feel the need to get THE LATEST OMG iPhone and/or iPad, then post on facebook (via iPhone) about how they can't afford food for their family.

You don't *NEED* and iPhone, there are plenty of good phones out there that you can get for $0 with a cheap plan.

</rant>

In any case, I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. I don't mind if somebody has their fish in tupperware or buckets even, but if you have SEVERAL fish like that (as OP stated) you should maybe try to save up your money to put them in proper homes before buying new fish just because they "live okay" in tupperware or buckets.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #25 
Goldie2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Just going to nitpick on this sentence. (Not at you, Jully just in general)

I really dislike how people do this. They can barely afford to live and yet feel the need to get THE LATEST OMG iPhone and/or iPad, then post on facebook (via iPhone) about how they can't afford food for their family.

You don't *NEED* and iPhone, there are plenty of good phones out there that you can get for $0 with a cheap plan.

</rant>

In any case, I agree wholeheartedly with this thread. I don't mind if somebody has their fish in tupperware or buckets even, but if you have SEVERAL fish like that (as OP stated) you should maybe try to save up your money to put them in proper homes before buying new fish just because they "live okay" in tupperware or buckets.
I totally agree with you! I'm only getting two more Bettas becauseI have the place and food for them also i want all my bettas to be healthy and I don;t want the food to rott or go bad so the more fish the more food gets used and I do have the one 10g which I can diviide for two new fish. i also agree food and necesities come first, fish and other novelties can wait be happy wit what you have! I am happy with a nice flip phone I got for free from my mom cus she had previsouly owned it and I buy the $45 at walmart is good in electrobnics things like that anyways I have the same computer since 2009 and only because the other one crashe if not I would have kept the other one. waist of money I mean really get a tank and food is worth it the phones come and go but life is only once and it goes for fish and all living things!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard people complain about how busy they are, too busy to take care of what they have so they sell off some fish then turn around and bug fish off of Aquabid and talk about their plans to breed. Um, if you're so busy that you can't handle taking care of fish while working and going to school and you sell some off then don't turn around and buy a pair from Aquabid ans spawn them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #27 
Goldie2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I've heard people complain about how busy they are, too busy to take care of what they have so they sell off some fish then turn around and bug fish off of Aquabid and talk about their plans to breed. Um, if you're so busy that you can't handle taking care of fish while working and going to school and you sell some off then don't turn around and buy a pair from Aquabid ans spawn them.
Agreed!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #28 
Jully

Some people just want them ;) I totally agree, but with things like "Umg ima buy an iphone and these fish to make my bathroom look pretty and a bowl that hangs on da wall!" Then the person buys an iphone and then puts the betta in a bowl, then gets another one and hangs them as a decoration.

I know someone who is poor, and owns 3 betta's her mother bought her a betta and a few days later her mom passed away, so then on christmas her dad bought her two betta's they didn't have much money, and it was hard for her because her mom died. Whenever she gets payed her mimum wage, she goes and buys something for her fish, she skips getting "nail polish" and phones, her phone is cracked the screen and she hasn't gotten it repaired yet because she prefers to spoil things on her fish. See, some people can afford more betta's een when they are poor it's not everyone, the ONLY reason the fact that makes this true. Is for people who spend $600 - $1,000 on an apple product, by there fish a hanging wall mount bowl and then use there fish as a decoration, then they come on here and say "My fish is sick, I cannot afford him more supplies I just bought a new phone... I have no more money" those people shouldn't buy fish at all.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #29 
Goldie2nd

I also agree with you Jully i must say. I don;t have much but I try to keep my fish healthy and buy them diverse meals and things. I also keep them warm and well do all I can for them really trully.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #30 
bahamut285

That's true, but wants =/= need

You NEED food to survive, your fish NEEDS a warm place to live. You DO NOT *NEED* an overpriced cellphone. I would sell my gaming laptop and my galaxy s2 and all my other electronics to keep my fish and myself alive :/. Not the other way around, where I put my impulse-buy betta in a tiny vase, take a picture of it with my shiny new smartphone and then whine about having no money x_x

I'm sorry about your acquaintance's family, Jully. I wish them the best, and I'm glad that even through tough times she still retains her sense of humanity. Her mother would be proud!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote