Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #1 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
One tank with 2 filters?

I have been offered a 29 gallon tank and stand for free! wheeeee!

The plan: Put my sorority in the 29 gallon and divide the 20 they are in now into 2 so I can get 2 more beautiful boys, one is already on order from Mo

The question: Has anyone else hung 2 HOB filters on a large divided tank? I want to do that but not sure if it's a dumb idea or not.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #2 
otter
Member
 
otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Its ok to have as much filteration as you want.. Its probably good because it keeps the tank super clean. As long as the current doesnt disturb the fish its fine
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Its ok to have as much filteration as you want.. Its probably good because it keeps the tank super clean. As long as the current doesnt disturb the fish its fine
That's my thinking, I just hope the hood on this new tank will allow for it, may have to use a little saw.

I would like to hear from anyone who has 2 filters in one tank
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
MSG
Member
 
MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
I had 5 filters attached to the 10 gallon when I was cycling, just to test everything out.

Now there's 2 HOB filters left running on the tank. One filter on the left & one on the right side.

What brand & model number filters were you planning to use on the 20G?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #5 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Might be a good idea to put 1 filter in the center. Then use 2 divider screens to section out the area the filter takes in water and puts water back into the tank. You can then run the filter at full speed without worry of current and fish getting stuck into intake tube.

Benefits:
* less cost, 1 filter not 2
* less time spent cleaning, 1 filter not 2,
* baffling and current problem solved other wise 2 filters to deal with
* not having to worry about 2 filters eating fish fins or sucking fish into it them.

Cons
* you lose some tank space but it will be a nice place to put plants to help with nitrate reduction.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #6 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Might be a good idea to put 1 filter in the center. Then use 2 divider screens to section out the area the filter takes in water and puts water back into the tank. You can then run the filter at full speed without worry of current and fish getting stuck into intake tube.

Benefits:
* less cost, 1 filter not 2
* less time spent cleaning, 1 filter not 2,
* baffling and current problem solved other wise 2 filters to deal with
* not having to worry about 2 filters eating fish fins or sucking fish into it them.

Cons
* you lose some tank space but it will be a nice place to put plants to help with nitrate reduction.
I know many do this set up but to me the filter is there to suck up debris as well as water, so I don't want to enclose it.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post

What brand & model number filters were you planning to use on the 20G?
I love the AquaTech that is sold at Wallyworld but I might like to try AquaClear, I read good things about it. It's a 20 gallon tank so I will need two 10/20 gallon capacity filters.

I have no problem baffling except for the cats trying to remove the baffles
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Two filters on opposite ends of the tank is a great idea. Helps the water move around. 2 heaters on each side also never hurts.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #9 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I know many do this set up but to me the filter is there to suck up debris as well as water, so I don't want to enclose it.
Unless your filter tube extends all the way to the bottom and has a lot of suction its not pulling poop up into your filter. When it finally breaks down to where it will be carried by currents it will pass through the mesh divider.

Honestly, if your doing it right, filters are not there to polish your water. Filters should be biological not mechanical or chemical. If your running filter floss and it grabs the poop keeping it out of your water its still breaking down in your filter and adding ammonia to your tank. The ideal situation is to have the right media in your filter to host as much beneficial bacteria as possible. Problem with filter floss is it will eventually clog and require you to change or rinse it, thus losing a large majority of your biological filtration and causing your tank to have to go through a mini cycle. The best filter design is one that you set and forget, never to touch unless you need to clear some blockage.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #10 
JackisLost
Member
 
JackisLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Unless your filter tube extends all the way to the bottom and has a lot of suction its not pulling poop up into your filter. When it finally breaks down to where it will be carried by currents it will pass through the mesh divider.

Honestly, if your doing it right, filters are not there to polish your water. Filters should be biological not mechanical or chemical. If your running filter floss and it grabs the poop keeping it out of your water its still breaking down in your filter and adding ammonia to your tank. The ideal situation is to have the right media in your filter to host as much beneficial bacteria as possible. Problem with filter floss is it will eventually clog and require you to change or rinse it, thus losing a large majority of your biological filtration and causing your tank to have to go through a mini cycle. The best filter design is one that you set and forget, never to touch unless you need to clear some blockage.
I guess I'm doing it wrong, my filter has bio, mechanical, and chemical filtration. It's helping to keep my waters crystal clear. I use eheim 2215 and a finnex pc 360, they ALwAYS contain bio media, sponge, filter floss, and carbon. I clean them every 3-6 months.
I wouldn't call it doing it wrong if you know what the goal of your filter is. Filter floss catches dust particles to make your water less "cloudy", carbon can help remove discoloration from tannis, and always have bio
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 filters, 1 tank. Please help! ILLBETHEJUDGE Betta Fish Care 2 03-10-2012 05:24 PM
Are sponge filters better than internal or external filters? Hopeseeker Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 02-29-2012 05:41 PM
Tank Filters remiska28 Betta Chat 2 08-09-2011 06:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.