Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #1 
Aahnay

Ok, the cat jumped into the fish tub

It was an accident, I had plastic.. the stuff you use for the dividers over the 1.5 gal sterite shoe boxes, then in turn are in a 7 gallon tub with heater.

She was in and out so fast. I took the fish out of the one she stepped in, and cleaned the shoe box, put new water in and put back to adjust to temp, then will put the female back in. Poor thing shes had such a busy day today, jumping out, getting put back in, then the cat?

My question, how do you protect the top of those shoe boxes? they come with the lids, but you know no air??? Drill holes in them? Open them every 5 minutes?

Thanks for your help, oh one other question, is there any other glue, like the ones for crafting you can use in fish tank? To lodge the plastic dividers? Probably not.. but have to ask, my city doesnt have any of the aquarium silicon.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 
ktlelia

Hmm, well if I was in your shoes, I would just drill holes on the original cover so plenty of air can get in. I wouldn't trust just laying anything to cover the top in fear of another cat accident.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 
Jully

If it's a plastic shoe box, try getting someone to make a screen out of the lid. If you cannot, drill lines to make air, then a few holes in the back.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #4 
kfryman

I would just drill holes in them, or you can get a lighter heat up a long piece of metal for a tiny bit and just push it through like the top is butter. The second would probably be easier and have cleaner holes.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 
Aahnay

yeah thats what I thought, hmmm wonder where the big drill bits are....

Melting would be so much faster you are right, but I cant think of anything .. oh a screw driver! yeah and plastic handle .. i can heat it over a candle .. omg, duh, I have a wood burner someplace, er no its a stencil cutter!

Thank you so much.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #6 
nel3

if you find a suitable glue as safe as AQsilicon, you can cut out a section of the lid cover. i used crafting mesh to cover the hole i made in the covers. i did this for my cricket boxes. if the pastic is thick enough you might be able to use hot glue to put it in place.ie the hot glue gun where you stuff glue sticks into it.

nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #7 
Aahnay

Wow, very nice job!

I used a hot tool used to iron doll clothes, it has several shapes and one is a tiny triangle like iron 3/4x3/4". I cut lines then Xs then slowly twisted it to make big holes. It was fun at first, then .... b o r i n g

Another cat just went over and turned the power off to this computer, and when I screamed at him, turned it back on as he ran! hahahahahaha

Is there a way to take parts of all the questions/answers about 'the first few days of getting those new fish' and putting together for a sticky? Just to help others?

OHOH I forgot to say: she was thirsty! she is the one that drinks water from the little tuptub i was putting the plants that got sucked out of the tank. Later she came to me, and tried skitty cats water, and then came to me.

I held skitty's water over for her, and she drank for a very long time. Her name is beast, but if she isnt scared is actually a baby. Poor thing, I know she wont go near that tub now, lol. I water in various places, so I dont know why she tried that. Perhaps because it was a larger body of water?

Last edited by Aahnay; 08-25-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #8 
pyro fiend

nel id be carefull with those plastic mesh if that is your cricket tank. i did the same thing a year or so back for both my B.dubias and crickets. my crickets jumped up and would latch onto the plastic and chew till there little hearts content. i ended up having to switch to screen mesh.

haha burning holes sucks indeed, i do it for my snake racks. but wow thats s weird f your cat. all my familys cats are scared of the bettas. the fish moves.. and all you see is 'a furr outline where they once stood" only one who likes the fish here is the pug. and all he does is bark at it till it comes to front of the 10g. then hell get up there and watch it.. it dont bother that fish in front room but it scares my other 2 lol little boy in front rooms like "oh doggy barked lets swim to the front and SHOW OFF!!yAy!!" lol
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #9 
Aahnay

HaHaHa, lol. I have cat that trys over and over to paw the adult, the only adult i have, and my first betta. I tell him no all the time. He doesnt go fromt he top, just the sides..hugs the aquarium too. Lol. But now there are some big leaves from the bulbs i planted and fish can hide..

I thought that a cat might be able to land on the plastic canvas and fall through ( doubt it though) never thought about chewing..
Old 08-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #10 
pyro fiend

yea chewing is bad. especially with crickets like he said.. i about had 3500 adults in my breeder boxes when i noticed.. they had a PERFECT circle chewed out. literally it was hanging by a thread.. had to switch tops. tear them all apart and put in screen. i personaly use harwear cloth for bettas tho. i dont wana risk a jumper. but i also dont wana waist money on something if a flea farts itl blow off.. lol

but personally when i made a dock for my turtles and stuff. i used just normal silicone. all purpose. it wouldwork with same theory as what nel did. would prob cost you less too if your making alot of them [i think standard caulk tubes are 4bucks. wiel here aquaruim tubes with like 1oz is 5..]

lol wow weird you mention that. have a beta in a 10g in my living room. and my aunts kitten gets up and tries to hug the aquarium. but only when he sees the dragon gobie. if he sees the betta he looks at it like "WTF!"

Last edited by pyro fiend; 08-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote