Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #1 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

24 hour lighting

I am wondering how many of you use 24 hour lighting in my community I use 24 hour lighting yet the fish are healthy some algae not much lots of algae eaters in the 10 gallon species i use 12 hour after algae broke out and added apple snail 10 has betta and snail and 20 oto 3 cory catfish guppies female betta napoleon the emperor tetra both planted assassins in the 20 too and they know when it is night on 24 hour lighting apple needs the light ques
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I don't use 24 hour lighting mainly to keep algea down. I try to keep the lighting on a more natural schedule. In the summer time, the lights are on longer, in the winter, shorter.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I just want to point out that is it extremely unhealthy for fish (or any living being) to be exposed to bright lights 24 hours a day. Damage to the eyes is the main concern-- a fish doesn't even posses the ability to close it's eyes, and being exposed to light without any total darkness will take a huge toll on their health and life span.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 
Sivan

+1 for Olympia.

This is detrimental to your fish's health. I would not do so.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Olympia is right. It's very unhealthy for the fish. Just like humans, fish produce different hormones when it is dark, and not having darkness causes these hormones to be in short supply. This damages the internal systems of the fish.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 08-23-2012 at 06:28 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

if you absolutely MUST light your tank 24 hours a day (and i can't see any reason to do so) use a red-filter bulb during "dark" hours, the red end of the spectrum is less damaging both physically and psychologically to most animals.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am exposed to 24 hour lighting and I have had my fish a while I can not leave them in darkness I have a phobia of darkness.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I swapped to 12 hours and the parinoa kicked in.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I am exposed to 24 hour lighting and I have had my fish a while I can not leave them in darkness I have a phobia of darkness.
if it's a psychological issue for you, i'd suggest moving your tank (if you can) to a room where you usually won't be at night (living room, dining room etc). if you absolutely must have your fish in a lit environment, you might want to get a small wall-socket night light, and position it where it won't shine on his tank. if that's not an option, a red bulb will provide you with light, and not be as damaging to your fish.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah i can not move the 20 gallon and 10 gallon to another room my parents would not let me but I am giving myself some light and I can faintly see the tank.