Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #1 
ChapterOmega

Fin Rot, Gray Face? Help Please

Hey guys, my betta has been sick for a couple of months, I have tried treating him myself (betta revive) and that seemed to help for a little while but now it looks like he is getting worse and I'm not exactly sure what is causing it. I'm not sure if I should do a 100% water change to see if that will help, but I am afraid of any drastic change for my betta. Any advise would help.

Here is the requested info:
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon Aqueon Aquarium
What temperature is your tank? 73-77 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? once or twice a day (2-3 pellets)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? face is gray sometimes, fins have rotted
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? stays at bottom of tank, sometimes lies on side, loss of coordination (cannot aim at food correctly)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a couple of months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I used Betta Revive for three days, and he started to get better, some fin regrowth occured, but now it looks like he is getting sicker, and has no appetite at all.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not before this
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 2 years old

I have included an image of what my betta looks like, taken yesterday, below, as you can see his top fin has pretty much disintegrated, and you can sort of see his gray face. Hope you guys can help, thx!

free picture hosting
ChapterOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #2 
Orito

Sounds like alot of ammonia poisoning is going around, and man is that top fin bad.

Do you use any aquarium salt? If not, I'd add some.

Also, I'd do a 100% water change, and a 25% water change bi-weekly until he starts to recover.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

I also suggest doing a 100% water change and clean out any gravel. I empty out the water, put a little back into the tank, swish it around and then dump it. Then I do it again. If you don't clean out the gravel, any uneatten food and poop will stay in the tank and that will pollute the water.

Quote:
lso, I'd do a 100% water change, and a 25% water change bi-weekly until he starts to recover.
25% biweekly is NOT enough - This site recommends 2X a week. One 100% water change with gravel cleaning and one 50%. Without a filter, the ONLY way to remove ammonia is via water changes. If not the ammonia will build up and rot away their fins, lower their immunity and may result in death.

If you want to use aquarium salt for his fin, its 1 teaspoon per gallon. Make sure the salt is disolved before you add the fish back into the tank. You should only use it for 10-14 days. Any longer and it can cause internal organ damage. Most people say do 100% water changes every day when using AQ salt. Its not mandatory but in his case, it may help fight off fin rot

Also, stress coat would be a good item to have to help the top fin heal.

His age may also be playing a part. 2 years is fairly old for a betta.

Quote:
The worst factor in ammonia poisoning is that elevated ammonia can't be seen. Although the effects can be seen, they are often misunderstood or missed entirely until it is too late. Regular water testing to detect elevated ammonia, and learning what symptoms to look for go a long ways towards combatting this invisible fish killer.Symptoms:

• Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
  • Purple or red gills
  • Fish is lethargic
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
  • Red streaking on the fins or body
Ammonia poisoning can happen suddenly, or over a period of days. Initially the fish may be seen gasping at the surface for air. The gills will begin to turn red or lilac in color, and may appear to be bleeding. The fish will being to lose its appetite and become increasingly lethargic. In some cases fish may be observed laying at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins.

As the damage from the ammonia poisoning continues, the tissues will be damaged as evidenced by red streaks or bloody patches that appear on the body and fins. Internal damage is occurring to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. The fish begins to hemorrhage internally and externally, and eventually dies.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #4 
Orito

@Tikibirds -
I actually meant twice a week, but I suppose bi-weekly is every other week, but it's not what I meant, so I apologize.

However, while I may not be an expert on fish, let alone bettas, I do know the average life-span for a betta is 2-3 years, and with proper care, I've heard of bettas lasting up to 5 years.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #5 
Pearl2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orito View Post
However, while I may not be an expert on fish, let alone bettas, I do know the average life-span for a betta is 2-3 years, and with proper care, I've heard of bettas lasting up to 5 years.
Minus how old they are at the pet store, so 6m to 1 year.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #6 
ChapterOmega

Alright, thanks guys, I'm going to try and get some aquarium salt. Also on the 100% water change: when I move him to another bowl while I do the change, how much of the original tank's water should I move to the bowl with him? Thank you
ChapterOmega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, help betta fish