Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #21 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
The majority of mine are near the bottom. I think they look for food there. I also have them in a 10 gal. I try to spread the mws and bbs around because they don't seem to travel that far to find food. Now that they are getting slightly larger, they larger ones swim farther to find food and there fry at different levels of the tank but still a lot of fry near the bottom.

Tpocicat told me to put nylon stocking over the siphon. It helped me a lot so I don't suck up fry much.

Good luck
Thanks, they seem to come up after 2 hours of the lights being on, so I just wait to feed them then. Although I do the same thing with the food.. I just spread it around. Besides I clean the tank every day twice a day so I get what ever food they don't eat back and replace with clean water. I tried just feeding in groups but with there being such a small amount of fry in a big tank I find that some seem to stay by them self's so I figured better safe than sorry and make sure every one is fed. :)

I will probably do the same with the siphon when they get bigger. I'm using a turkey baster right now because im to scared to use anything else. (im such a chicken lol)
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #22 
tpocicat

For small cleaning jobs I use a turkey baster, but for water changes, an air hose with a pice of panty hose on the end is faster as well as keeps you from sucking up the little ones.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #23 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
For small cleaning jobs I use a turkey baster, but for water changes, an air hose with a pice of panty hose on the end is faster as well as keeps you from sucking up the little ones.
I know its faster, I'm just to chicken to try it. With the turkey baster I've grown confident with it to be able to clean and do small water changes without being so paranoid. I'm a chicken what can I say?

Plus I don't mind spending the extra time :) I will probably stop using the turkey baster for water changes in a week or 2.. after college classes start building up.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #24 
tpocicat

Understood ;)
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #25 
Kelly0727

Saturday August 25, 2012

So tonight around midnight my fry will officially be a week old! So I am celebrating! Cookies for everyone! LOL.

So I have been doing small water changes, about an inch maybe inch or two once per day since there aren't many fry in there but I noticed that most of the moisture disappears as I am in the middle of the water change.. So either I will have to suck it up and put my big girl undies on and stop using the turkey baster or do smaller water changes through out the day.

We have one fry that is bigger than all already! I have officially named him Monster lol! If it is a girl she will be named Monstina! I even had one fry swim all the way from the other side of the tank up to me and stare at me... I think we stared at each other for at least a minute before he finally swam away :)

More good news! I randomly somehow got duck weed growing in my giant tub of water with live plants outside that I use to hold my water for water changes! As to how I got it.. I have no clue. Mom is saying that the spirits or as others call them Angels have given it to me as a congrats gift. ^_^

Scary news though.. I don't know if any one has been watching news but that hurricane out there is heading in my direction. :S I live in Florida so it will be nudging us, thankfully isn't going over us! But they are saying that the storm could be bad enough that we may lose power. *cries* which means my fry wont have a heater if that happens! If any one has any advice on what I should do if this happens I would greatly appreciate it. I just hope it really doesn't happen...
Old 08-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #26 
meiperfectneina19

Forgive me if this sounds like a bad idea... but... why... why is it a problem if your fish are without a heater when you live in Florida? Aren't the temperatures high enough? Isn't it tropical or near tropical and summer? I mean I could understand if you had an AC on, but if there is no electricity there wouldn't be any Ac either...
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #27 
Kelly0727

Lol I'm not surprised to be asked that, but its only around 77 here right now, and when it rains it will get cooler, or at least it normally does. Florida is more of a bipolar weather than it is hot and sunny like a lot of people think.

But even when its 77 out the water temp tends to get a bit cooler because my room doesn't get a lot of sun since we have a lot of trees so it gets even cooler. Also it's only the fry that I am worried about, I know my bettas can handle it, they wont be happy but they can.. but my fry being so young may not be able to since they are use to 82-84 degrees water.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #28 
meiperfectneina19

Yeah I just wonder... since I come from Puerto Rico and Florida was always the closest state temperature wise, though I do know it can get quite a bit cooler in winter, but usually back home when a hurricane passes by it is unbearably hot at least the time leading to the storm.

But I guess I get what you are saying if you are keeping them at 80+ and it might drop to 70 ish.
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #29 
Kelly0727

Yeah it does get hot, well inside the house but never hot enough to keep the water warm enough sadly. Heck I remember when the 4 hurricanes hit back to back... we had no power for about a month! I had gotten so hot I wanted to dive into my aquariums because the water was cool lol.

Oddly enough though with all the storms we have been getting the past week the temp here has dropped from 90's to 70's. So I can only imagine that it will get cooler once the rest of the rain comes in from Isaac.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #30 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@Kelly; I know this is a bit late but for future reference;
try wriggle your finger or a chop stick at the water surface. Newly hatched fry will group around the vibration (this is how males feed their fry - vibrate pectoral fins to call his fry). When you think most are at one spot, start feeding - try to make their food sink slowly (easier for fry to find/catch). Once fry are used to "feeding time" you can drop what ever food at that same spot.

Vibration method won't work on bigger/older fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote