Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #521 
JackisLost

when i was younger i had a siberian husky, i freakin' loved that dog. i remember one day at the dog park a pit bull was playing with a girls hoody sweater and pulling the little girl down, it was pretty sad that the owner just stayed on the bench and watched. i tried to speed on over and stand in between the dog and girl and the pittbull got angry with me and it was a pretty scary scene when my dog sped on over to protect me too. it ended with me holding my dog's harness yelling for the owner to retain his dog and me attempting to scare and kick the dog away. i don't hate on the breed of pittbull, but it did make me think about how dog's personality's amplify the owners. my neighbor has 2 very large pittbulls, and they never cross their sidewalk even unsupervised. it amazed me how smart and trained those two dogs are, and they're still our neighbors.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #522 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngesRadieux View Post
An entire breed of dogs shouldn't be banned because some members of the breed have bitten people. Most of the time, it's the humans who are at fault, anyway. I've met large dogs that are quite sweet and lovable and I've met some that are just plain nasty. The difference? The owners.

Just up the road from me a guy has a couple dangerous dogs--a boxer and a shepherd mix. They almost killed me neighbor's dogs and they killed several rabbits which belonged to another neighbor, went after our rabbits, and went after my neighbor. What does their owner do? He's let the dogs run around the block off the leash. Once a few years back my dad was driving with me and my sister and their owner actually flagged us down, the dog's leash in hand, and asked my dad to slow down because his dog was walking on the side of the road and didn't always come when called. His gate gets left open so the dogs can get out and attack other animals and people. Just a week or so ago, thank goodness school wasn't in session because these two dogs managed to get all the way to the local high school.

But it isn't because they're a boxer or a shepherd mix. My aunt's friend has an absolutely adorable boxer. It's because the guy who owns them is a moron and obviously can't handle his dogs. It's a known fact that they're aggressive and nasty, so he should be making a point of keeping his gate closed and the dogs contained and under control. If he did that, they wouldn't get the chance to attack anyone. Or if they'd been trained and socialized as puppies maybe there wouldn't even be a need.

I don't see the point in punishing responsible owners just because there are jerks like this guy around. Same goes for pit bulls. I haven't met many, but I'm sure it's the same thing where dogs with responsible owners are safe and it's just the idiots that give them a bad reputation.
Too bad you can't call animal control. That's awful.
Some people near me like to let their small dogs run free, almost getting hit by cars, another one I approached (and talked in a high pitch voice to make myself seem friendly) and he bit me! Yeah it didn't really hurt but he still bit me!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #523 
AngesRadieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Too bad you can't call animal control. That's awful.
Some people near me like to let their small dogs run free, almost getting hit by cars, another one I approached (and talked in a high pitch voice to make myself seem friendly) and he bit me! Yeah it didn't really hurt but he still bit me!
We have. My neighbor sued him. This last time we called the police and he got two court summons, one for each dog that got loose. But when my mom was talking to the police officer, his comment was, "I know the individual and he just doesn't care." So he'll pay off whatever fines come from the summons and then forget about it. The guy's loaded, so the fines aren't much of an issue.

Like I said, this is a prime example of the human being the problem rather than the dogs. Personally, I want to at least see those animals confiscated and rehomed to someone who can handle them, but for some reason animal control never takes away the dogs even though they have actually bitten people before. But if he made sure that they couldn't get out, kept them on a short leash, and put a muzzle on them when other people were around like a responsible owner we wouldn't have a problem.

Forget banning dogs. Let's start banning people from owning dogs.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #524 
starrlamia

ignore me i think i misread
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #525 
Newbettamommy13

I for one am with you all the way! You know what BSL is? It's just a stupid law run on nothing but myths and discrimination! They'll even tell you of their "locking jaws" that is a lie because no breed of dog has that. I Love pitbulls and have a VERY strong passion for them. If my mom allowed me to have a dog, I would have a pitbull. It's really sad to see how many people are willing to let them all die without knowing the truth. That's like someone coming and taking someone's child away. It's cruel and inhumane! Pitbulls for the win! Oh by the way, if you didn't know already, there is a truly amazing film (made in 2010) called "Beyond the myth" It's a documentary about the truth about this kind gentle breed and the ineffectiveness of BSL. I HIGHLY recommend it for ALL dog lovers! Especially, but not only, pitbull owners!
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #526 
Granberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbettamommy13 View Post
I for one am with you all the way! You know what BSL is? It's just a stupid law run on nothing but myths and discrimination! They'll even tell you of their "locking jaws" that is a lie because no breed of dog has that. I Love pitbulls and have a VERY strong passion for them. If my mom allowed me to have a dog, I would have a pitbull. It's really sad to see how many people are willing to let them all die without knowing the truth. That's like someone coming and taking someone's child away. It's cruel and inhumane! Pitbulls for the win! Oh by the way, if you didn't know already, there is a truly amazing film (made in 2010) called "Beyond the myth" It's a documentary about the truth about this kind gentle breed and the ineffectiveness of BSL. I HIGHLY recommend it for ALL dog lovers! Especially, but not only, pitbull owners!
You know, back in the day when Smallpox ran the earth, killing women, elderly and others alike, there were probably people saying, "It's probably the human's fault! They don't train their kids to wash their linens or hands. My daughter's friend has smallpox, and she is so sweet that we let them cuddle! After all other pox diseases kill children - chicken pox, cox pox, why pick on the smallpox?

IT's ridiculous. There are millions of homeless pets who would beg for a home...pet's that haven't been bred to be aggessive (check the AKC standard if you don't think that's true) Save a better dog.They will love you forever for tl
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #527 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I've never met a mean pit bull. They've all been hams.

Wagging tails, big smiling face, and snuggly.

May not be my first choice in dogs to own, but I certainly wouldn't pass one up if I had the means :3

I don't understand how someone can hate based on breed. That's like hating someone for having blue eyes.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #528 
veggiegirl

I can understand Pitbull's being banned in places, it is not that they are a generally nasty dog, I am sure they can be as friendly as any other dog but the problem is that they were bred to fight and so can be naturally aggressive, they are killers and I think the worse thing is that they are known for being unpredictable.

What makes the situation worse is that irresponsible dog owners are usually drawn to the breed just because of the dogs reputation they think that owning one will make them look tough. Trouble is these people lets their dogs wander and attack/harass other people and animals and let them breed.

I would never say that I hate any animal but I can understand why control measures need to be strict, I have had several encounters with the breed over the years and none of them was a positive experience......

Last edited by veggiegirl; 02-18-2013 at 12:07 AM.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #529 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
I can understand Pitbull's being banned in places, it is not that they are a generally nasty dog, I am sure they can be as friendly as any other dog but the problem is that they were bred to fight and so can be naturally aggressive, they are killers and I think the worse thing is that they are known for being unpredictable.

What makes the situation worse is that irresponsible dog owners are usually drawn to the breed just because of the dogs reputation they think that owning one will make them look tough. Trouble is these people lets their dogs wander and attack/harass other people and animals and let them breed.

I would never say that I hate any animal but I can understand why control measures need to be strict, I have had several encounters with the breed over the years and none of them was a positive experience......
The only thing is that they were bred to be DOG aggressive, and bred to be human friendly, family pets... Dogs aren't unpredictable, it's a matter of who can read the warning signs..
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #530 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post

They can be bred for aggressiveness, but it's the OWNERS that make a difference. I've seen several fighting pit bulls rehabbed into the best dogs ever. Maybe it's your area, but get out more often and meet more pitties. I've had both good and bad experiences with ALL breeds of dogs. Heck! the 1st and only dog to bite me was a Shih-Tzu! And it was my fault because I didn't heed her body language.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote