Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #1 
candyman995

Help for a starting Betta fan

Hey, basically i've started planning for my first tank set up but thought i'd get some helpful advice before i do so. I've aquired the basics so far such as a 25 watt heater, back mounted filter and 2.5 gallon tank.

I was wondering what the best set up ideaas would be and what substrates and plants would help with tank care... i want to give it a natural feel with live plants to give the fish a realistic habbitate but my local aquatics store wasnt much help in giving advice for betta care.

So feel free to post any and all help you think would be benificial to me even if it seems obvious. Im anxious to get the tank set up so it can cycle ready for my first fish when its safe to intorduce it to the tank.

Thanks
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #2 
Laki

There are SO many ideas for a tank! I prefer the natural look myself. Easy beginner plants which don't require special lights or cO2 or soil include java fern, java moss, anubias, hornwort, marimo moss balls, duckweed, water lettuce, anacharis... There are a few!! lol I learned the best fertilizer to give which doses all plants is Seachem Flourish. For a 5.5g tank I literally put in 1mL once a week.

I prefer black substrate because it compliments all colors, plus I find the betta's own color pops out more. You can add river rocks or glass stones or anything you like. Sand is harder to clean and some types of sand develop pockets of gas if it's not stirred up. (so I hear)

You can get silk plants at any craft store and set up a realistic tank as well. Make sure they don't have metal in the stems though. I bought these nice coiled vines at the dollar store which the fish liked to hide in. Your possibilities are limitless :)
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #3 
Goldie2nd

Cool I need me some black substrate but I got a Black backgorund so. I can deal I think
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #4 
DiiQue

+1 Laki's suggestions.

I recommend getting some CaribSea ecoComplete black substrate. It has some nice minerals/nutrients which help with plant growth and you dont have to prewash the stuff. It takes some practice cleaning though, but has been well worth it for me.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #5 
Goldie2nd

Cool I'm learning soo much on this site I feel great!
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #6 
candyman995

I have two silk plants at the moments but the one si looked up from your suggestions look like they'd give it a realistic feel to me :).

Is there any prefered possition for placing the heater like fully submerged or with the top slightly out at all? Also what would i need to clean the substrate and how often?

Lots i can learn from here to help my fish be comfy and happy :D
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #7 
Laki

If you're going to cycle your tank, my understanding is that the substrate only needs to be vacuumed. There's beneficial bacteria living in it which you need for your cycle.
Hopefully you have a submersible heater, if so, place it down all the way in the tank. Some like to keep it horizontal near the bottom, mine is upright at the moment. It's up to you and you can place it anywhere because the filter will circulate the water enough.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
begginer, help confused, plants, set up