Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #1 
Zoeberry

Whisper filters and sand

I got a free 15 gallon tropical tank setup recently which included a Whisper Filter. I bought the aquarium sand sold at Petco because I read that is best for catfish (if I decided to add any). I just read on a Tetra webpage that you cannot use sand with this filter because it will clog it up and make it stop working.

Has anyone on here had success with Whisper filters and sand?
Zoeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

If I remember correctly, the tetra whisper filters are just regular HOB filters. In general sand isn't recommended with them because the device that pulls in water is at the bottom, and any sand that gets sucked in the filter will settle down in the impeller. This blocks it and prevents it from pulling in water. There is a simple fix to it: get a sponge filter. They are much gentler on betta fins and don't have the risk of getting jammed up by sand.

I have sand in a tank with an HOB and did find it jammed once. I have no clue how long it was like that. I'm lucky it didn't burn out the motor. I'm switching to a sponge filter in that tank rather soon to avoid this happening again.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #3 
Zoeberry

Thanks for the info. I'll look into sponge filters tomorrow.
Zoeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

hey i was wondering if you need more info i found this link www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111723
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote