Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #41 
Aus

Sorry, I should have added: I would LOVE one of those pictured glass tanks as a CW 'mini-pond' for snails and some native water plants. I kept a small 'pond' going - complete with a surprise crop of tadpoles - for about 2 years in a tank of that size and shape, and it provided us with many hours of pleasure, watching the snails make little slime-bridges between the plants, etc. We even had a few dragonfly babies (who snacked on a few taddies until we found them!) hiding in the weeds. I think this set up would be great for CW stuff like that, fantastic and educational for the kids.

(we let all the taddies go but three, and two grew to maturity in thier own large tank, and we kept the resulting frogs for years, was awesome!)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #42 
OMGemily

isnt copper bad for fish?
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #43 
SpookyTooth

I think this is a great concept however the execution of it is a little lacking in my opinion. As others have stated the room for a heater and more horizontal swimming space instead of vertical would be ideal, especially in a larger size; I would happily pay for a 5 gal.

For those such as myself who have medical issues that make water changes excessively painful and exhausting this sort of thing would save so much stress, I can also see its potential when it comes to breeders and others who maybe do not have as much time as they would like to get water changes done. I'm also paranoid about my electricity useage and would simply adore an aquarium system that would not require a filter (would still use a heater) but that doesn't need to be lugged around every couple of days.

While it would somewhat limit how it could be decorated I would gladly sacrifice that if it meant I could keep a happy, healthy, heated betta while also keeping myself happy, healthy and not in agony when doing water changes heh.

I would also like it if it was available in the UK. -nods profusely-
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #44 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Ok update number one!

I've done some testing and have more to write

So I've left the tank for almost two days, and tested the ammonia. The level was between .25 and .50. Won't do that again! I have two big tervis glasses....so when I say one cup, I mean those. Not sure how much water is in them. After the second cup, it was around .25. One more cup....brought it down to close to 0. I did one more for good measure.

So, result is....you have to change at least one large cup of water in this tank daily....which isn't surprising due to the size of it. I think the inventors need to let people know, that this tank must be changed EVERYDAY or else the betta will be unhealthy and swimming in it's own waste.

Also, I find that pouring the water in slowly may help with less glasses to change the water. You want to make sure the newest water stays at the top, while the old is sucked out. Pouring it hard, in my opinion, would result in it going to the bottom and it being flushed out too fast, if that makes sense....

That's all for now. Will post more later
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #45 
Bombalurina

StarSpun, your avatar is making me drool.

How do you heat this odd little tank?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #46 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
StarSpun, your avatar is making me drool.

How do you heat this odd little tank?
Awww thanks! Sadly, the male in the icon isn't doing too well....some mystery ailment....just posted in the disease section yesterday He sure was a beauty though!

So heating, I would do with either a heating cable, or a small heat pad near by. The problem with this tank is, it's too small to safely heat it correctly. The most reliable heater I've found so far (for small tanks) is the Hydor Theo 25w....with thermostat. I wouldn't put those in under a gallon. Better yet, not under a gallon and a half.

I can successfully use this tank because I am located in Florida at the moment. If it dips down, I have a heater with a thermostat aimed towards the fish tanks. So for anyone north, these aren't a great idea unless you have a fish room, or, like me, keep the place at 78+ (hey, I like the heat, what can I say?!)

I have been talking to the inventors, and bigger sizes are being worked on....ones that will allow heaters to be safely used
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #47 
Foisair

Yay! I'm so glad someone started a thread on these. I saw them on kickstarted a while ago and while I would have loved to test one as well, I couldn't aford it. I'm glad that the inventors are working with actual betta owners. As mentioned, they seemed to be a little ill informed at the begining. I'm sure they've learned a lot as well. Like everyone else, the price and small size is a turn off. However, at the same time, I was unsure on the physics and if they would continue to work in a bigger tank. I'm overjoyed that they are working on larger ones. I will be keeping an eye out for them.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #48 
OregonDreamsBettas

These look great... trying to find a way to house my new spawn when they are old enough. However for $70 I could never afford to buy in the quantity I would need to make it worth while... It does give me ideas ... like buying a glass drill and making my own!
OregonDreamsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #49 
socold57

any more updates ?
socold57 is offline   Reply With Quote