Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

HELP! aggressive community betta!

our betta Odin is in our 10gallon NPT community tank. we've previously had other bettas in there before, and they've gotten along fine with the mollies and platies, but Odin seems WAY more aggressive. yesterday when we introduced him he was fine, but then this morning he took a bite out of my red wag platy's tail, and has been hostile and standoffish ever since. is there anything we can do to make him more comfortable with his tankmates, or is he a definitely in need of re-homing? if we need to, we have a home for him but it's not with us and we'd like to keep him if we can.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #2 
clopez1

I would take him out but if you want keep an eye on him and if he attacks again take him out.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by clopez1 View Post
I would take him out but if you want keep an eye on him and if he attacks again take him out.
we had him isolated all morning and afternoon, tried him again and he chased but didn't bite. he's in there with two mollies and three platies, and he only seems to chase the platies, which seems unusual to me since the mollies have much more betta-shaped bodies.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 
clopez1

He may get tired of chasing them..I guess only time will tell.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by clopez1 View Post
He may get tired of chasing them..I guess only time will tell.
he's starting to slow down now....he'll spend long periods of time leaving them alone, then chase one for ten seconds or so, and go back to his own business. so far, no new nippings. when he first got there, he clamped his fins and acted scared for a while, then started chasing, then nipped Sunna's tail this morning, and now after being isolated for a few hours he seems to be winding down. this might just be him adjusting to a real home as opposed to a little cup.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #6 
clopez1

Could be.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #7 
Aus

Some bettas are more territorial than others. My plakat killed a loach outright and harassed another to exhaustion. He even attacks snails like they were other bettas.

Yours might settle, once he's staked out a territory -- you can help him with that by providing plants and a cave or something to give him hidey-places -- or maybe he's like mine and won't tolerate the other fish at all.

Have a hospital tank ready for any casualties, if you choose to 'wait and see'.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Some bettas are more territorial than others. My plakat killed a loach outright and harassed another to exhaustion. He even attacks snails like they were other bettas.

Yours might settle, once he's staked out a territory -- you can help him with that by providing plants and a cave or something to give him hidey-places -- or maybe he's like mine and won't tolerate the other fish at all.

Have a hospital tank ready for any casualties, if you choose to 'wait and see'.
thanks, he's calming down a lot. still doesn't like the glass, i'm guessing he can see his reflection in it from the way he flares at it, but his chasing is now down to a momentary flicker. guess the little guy just wasn't used to having enough room to use all his pent-up energy!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #9 
Halfmoon

I have my female halfmoon betta Buds, and i just started a small community 10 gallon tank a couple weeks ago, and as soon as i walked in the door Buds was destroying the shyer betta, i don't think the shy betta is going to make it, Buds pretty much ate his fins.. I might put the newer one down to put its soul at peace.. please help.
Halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote