Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 
Goldibug

Filter Suggestion 10 gallon

I have hob filters rated to 15 gallons but they're cheap and I'm not impressed with their filtering capabilities. I was looking at this fluval filter and was wondering if anyone has used it. How well does it work? Is it to strong for betta boys?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...nternalfilters
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 
megaredize

i recommend the aquaclear 20 http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...143&lmdn=Brand for 10 gallons the flow isnt too much and you can adjust the flow so if you have it all the way on low your fish wont even notice it. the aquaclears give lots of room for filter media which is awesome. you dont even have to keep the carbon, you can put more foam or more biomax. i personally do use the carbon which is the only media that needs to be changed monthly. the foam can be rinsed in tank water during a water change. and the bio max shouldnt be changed at all unless its completely falling apart.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #3 
megaredize

oh and i have the aquaclear 20 running on my 5 gallon tanks and the flow is still low enough for 5 gallons so it will be fine for 10
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #4 
Goldibug

That's great news! I have 3 aquaclears because I love them so much but I was worried that the 20 would still be to much for bettas. I'm excited to hear it isn't! Did you do anything to the filter other than set it at the lowest flow?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #5 
megaredize

nope its not even baffled. actually i can put it in highest flow occasionnally to get rid of the protein film that i get sometimes. but maybe im lucky with my bettas for that. i would leave it on low. to see how sensitive your guy is to it.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 
Goldibug

Great info! Thank you!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

I have Aqueon Quietflow filters and they are not bad but I don't use the cartridges. Instead I stuff the filter with aquaclear foam which lasts alot longer then the cartridges. I did have to stick some foam in the outflow as it was a bit strong for the guy in the section with the filter. I do the same thing in the 20G but I also add in a bag of aquaclear carbon as I recently used parasite medication in there. However, I do want to upgrade to the 30-60 gallon aquaclear filter for the 20G when $$ permits.

I also have a tetra internal filter - which also seems to work fairly well. I got it for the snail tank because the water would reek after like 2 days. It hasn't smelled since I put the filter in and there are like 40 baby japanese trapdoor snail in there..
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #8 
Goldibug

Thanks :) I think I'll just upgrade to the aquaclear when I get some extra cash.