Gryphon

Sick Betta? Help please

Housing
What size is your tank? Was 2.5 G, now in .5 gal q/t bowl
What temperature is your tank? 78-80˚F
Does your tank have a filter? 2.5G, yes. .5 no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He had a snail in the 2.5g, none in .5 q/t

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max Betta
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x a day, everyday except sunday
How much? A large flake or two crumbled into small pieces. Fish has not eaten since Tuesday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x a week in 2.5 G, daily in .5g
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% and 75% respectively
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime water conditioner, aquarium salt (in .5g)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no. I use bottled spring water treated with prime. My tap water has more heavy metals than prime can detoxify. I had the tap h20 tested when I moved in, but no longer have the numbers.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Was gone for 5 weeks, my trustworthy (or maybe not so trustworthy now) roommate took care of him while I was gone. Came back Friday to a missing tail with the look of a bacterial infection. Roommate told me she changed water 1x a week, but I have no idea if that actually occurred. Tank was filtered. By Sunday, fish had lost his color and was lethargic on the bottom of the tank. I pulled him out at q/t him in the .5 g and treated with betta revive for the look of bacterial infection. By wednesday night, he was gasping for air and had a hard time swimming. He also had stress lines show up on his body. I did an emergency 100% h20 change and added some aquarium salt. Today he seems to have had a bit more energy and puts more effort into swimming to the surface. however, he is lethargic on the bottom of the tank the majority of the time and his gills look like he is gasping. He still has a hard time reaching the surface and sinks like a rock (maybe swim bladder issues?).
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? normally frisky and enjoys playing in his tank. now lies on the bottom of the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? majorly, sunday 8/19
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Betta Revive (per local knowledgable fish store), later aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none previous
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've owned him 4 months. Had full tail when I got him from my LFS (he is a full moon!) but unknown on actual age

Photos from today 8/23

Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #2 
Orito

Sounds like your fish is suffering from ammonia poisoning.

Do a 100% water change, reduce feeding, and do 25% water change bi-daily.
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #3 
Gryphon

I changed his water by 25% twice today. Should I continue with the Aquarium salt? And if I did, how much should I add since I'm only doing 25% changes?

Also, he has not been fed since tuesday, since he showed no interest in eating before then. Should I give him a tiny bit of food to see if he will eat or should I offer him a bit of pea? How soon should he show signs of improvement? He looks exactly the same today as he did yesterday, except today he is at least resting on his belly on the bottom rather than listing sideways.

Sorry for the overload of questions, but I want him to get better! Thank you for the help!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 
Orito

Hah, it's not a problem, Gryphon.

Let me clarify first... When I said bi-daily, I meant every other day. Seems I've been mistaken twice when using that phrase, so just wanna make that clear. When I said to reduce feeding, what I mean is at night, a few hours before you goto bed, give him a few pieces of food. Wait an hour to see if he has eaten it. If not, remove it, and throw it away.

I would keep on the aquarium salt, atleast until he recovers, just do not over-salt the water. Remember, 1tbsb per 5g tank. This part I'm not entirely sure about, but since you're removing 25%, I would believe that you would take 1tbsb, divide by 25%, and add that. Less always being safe.

I'd think he would show improvement withing days of starting treatment. When my betta had ammonia poisoning, I did a 100% change, didn't feed that night, didn't feed the next morning, did a 25% water change, fed him the next night, then that following morning, I fed him, and he was up to his normal self. Obviously, will take a bit to heal completely, but still should be good.

A question I have though is, can you get him to swim? Like, if you put your fish net in the tank, and tap his tail, does he swim away?
Orito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 
Silverfang

1 tsp/gal is a better dosing method. I know lots of people fill up a milk jug (really thoroughly rinsed with hot water) and premix water for salt treatments.

It also looks like he's been nibbling his fins.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #6 
Gryphon

Orito, thank you for the clarification, since bi-daily means twice per day, that is what I understood it as. Once every other day does make a difference.

I tried to feed him tonight and he showed no interest in eating so I did remove the food. He will swim if disturbed, and has started to swim around a bit more.

Silverfang, thank you. I have gallon water jugs, so that is a great idea to pre-treat with the aquarium salt. I couldn't tell if his tail was self inflicted or if it was an infection... when I showed a pic to the people at my LFS they recommended the bettarevive as a treatment, which i have discontinued to deal with his other problems. I was thinking that the added aquarium salt would also help his tail.

Thank you again for the help!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #7 
Gryphon

This evening I came home to him swimming around his little tank. I offered him a little bit of food and he ate! He is really perky and very curious about what is going on. He has started to flare again.

I am concerned still about the state of his fins. Should I just keep treating with the aquarium salt for them? Does anyone know how fast fins regrow?

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #8 
Silverfang

AQ salt treatment for 7 to no more than 10 days.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ill betta, lethargy, swim bladder