Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #1 
notsabrina

Exclamation My little man appears to have a hard time breathing! Should I be worried?

I've posted a couple threads about my betta Caviar, and since then I think he's made a full recovery and can put my paranoid mother worries to rest. He's pretty much back to normal, except for his breathing. I haven't figured out why it seems as if he's having a hard time breathing. His mouth is quite often opening and closing as his black gills protrude out at the same time. Every so often his mouth opens really wide to "gasp". Is this a bad thing?

Here's a couple 30 second clips I took on my iPhone of what I'm talking about. The quality is really bad, sorry about that. But if you enlarge the video you can sorta see what I mean.
  1. Breathing with black gills protruding out. Is this normal?
    http://youtu.be/BIqp-FqHQx4
  2. His mouth opening really wide before swimming away. Is he agitated? Trying to "cough" something out?
    http://youtu.be/pn_hxAR4eq4
Thanks for the help everyone!
notsabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

He's beautiful. Honestly I don't think it's anything to worry about if he's eating with no problem & active. have you noticed the mouth more when he makes his bubble nest?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #3 
notsabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
He's beautiful. Honestly I don't think it's anything to worry about if he's eating with no problem & active. have you noticed the mouth more when he makes his bubble nest?
Thank you!
His mouth has been doing that before he started making bubble nests. But he has been more active and he eats like a piggy. :) I'm just super paranoid because this is my first legitimate aquarium set up, as opposed to when I was younger and ignorant to proper fish care.
notsabrina is offline   Reply With Quote