Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #11 
tpocicat

My best advice is breed for what you like/want. Others will want them if they have the quality people are looking for.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaelene Sundlie View Post
I am going to breed halfmoons and hopefully doubletails but i want to know what colors you want please let me know what you are thinking!
I was thinking about doing a black and a tri colored mix and coming out with black bettas with dashes of color please let me know what you think and what other colors you would like!
Black is an impossible color for experienced breeders. I bred a few years and am now just starting to work the color. Black females have fertility issues so lots of spawn problems. And you need contrast to be atrractive. All the bettacolors are pretty dark. Red is nice with the black, but does not stand out much. You can't cross black with white and get black and white fish. Adding yellow will affect the depth of your black. Crossing black to a multi will get you mud. Lots of red and blue fish with sort multi patterns.

Better off starting off with a solid.. or if you like patterns a regular marble.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #13 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaelene Sundlie View Post
Honestly people i asked what colors you would like to see and i get a comments saying i should do this research and blah blah blah will i have been working my butt off getting ready to breed and you asume i didn't do enough research even though you don't know me i have been researching genetics for the past two weeks for your information.
Couldn't you have just answered my question? I don't mean to seem rude in any way but it frustrates me when you guys do that.
I'd like to see a perfect red. Of how about a true green? You stated black and it is THE most difficult color for an experienced breeder to work because females, the dark ones, produce infertile eggs. So often spawn after spawn fails. And you have the irid issue. THAT is why you are being told to research because most of us that HAVE been around and bred these fish know these difficulties and your question tells us you do not have a clue about what you are trying to get into. We also know telling you we want a tri band red, white and blue fish is stupid because you are not going to even know where to START breeding for this. I've been breeding for years and have been successful at it and only recently do I feel prepared and qualified to work the color black. It is not a color for a beginner to start with.. but after 2 weeks of research [not experience] I'm sure you are going to tell me otherwise.

And what is your end goal? To show? Then best breed to the standard and try perfecting a solid, other than black. Even the patterned fish are difficult to achieve the standard. And they have to have good form on top of it all.

If you just want to breed some genetic mutts with all kinds of crazy colors do what ever will hold your interest. Your fish will end up [hopefully] in a local fish shop as a serious breeder is not interested in genetic wildcards. And unless you participate in and do well in the shows.. again, the serious breeder will not be interested in your fish. You may be able to sell an interesting one here and there for a few bucks on AB.. but you sure will not even break even in your hobby.

Best advice is breed fish you like.. what we think makes no difference when you spend 4 hours a day doing water changes.. only what you think matters then.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote