Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #11 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Can I ask what it is that you have tried, and hasn't worked?

I do understand not wanting him to suffer, but maybe there's something you haven't tried yet?
There comes a point it is kindest to either let them die in peace or put them down. When your dog or cat has cancer they will not get better. And at a certain point the kindest thing is to keep them from suffering. It is not fun to watch even a fish slowly die. And the constant nuking just makes their life even more miserable.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #12 
Aus

I'm really not the bleeding heart type, and have had several animals of various species put to sleep when deemed incurable or suffering too much to withstand extended treatment.

But I am also aware of how frustrating and confusing fish illnesses can be, especially if they are chronic, and when treatment seems very slow in offering relief.

Thus, I am wondering whether the OP might have missed a treatment of some kind that could work - I have often thought of putting my chronically ill fish to sleep, but he's actually improved in time, with care, and I feel his quality of life is such that he's worth persisting with - and I'm glad I didn't rush to put him down, now.

Of course, I'd understand if the OP really has tried everything, the fish is clearly and miserably suffering, and it's the right time to put it to sleep. In which case, of course I extend my full support and sympathy.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #13 
teeneythebetta

Add some clove oil to his cup. This works as an anesthetic. Make sure he is knock out, and then pour him into a cup of very cold ice water. He will die of temperature shock but would have felt no pain..

Im sorry..
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #14 
registereduser

I found this procedure:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....e=0#post959285
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #15 
pyro fiend

personally. iv never heard of clove oil to put a animal down till today.. but personally.. if i have to put a fish down.. im staying with the freezer idea.. maybe even extreamly cold water if that works.. as when i read you have to watch it die... now being a guy whos put down dozens and dozens of rats. frogs. even some bunnies.. youd think i woudlnt care.. but thats just terrible.. gota wach your beloved fish friend roll over :S at least the freezer idea you make up your mind then come back a few hrs later and the deeds done :s
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
personally. iv never heard of clove oil to put a animal down till today.. but personally.. if i have to put a fish down.. im staying with the freezer idea.. maybe even extreamly cold water if that works.. as when i read you have to watch it die... now being a guy whos put down dozens and dozens of rats. frogs. even some bunnies.. youd think i woudlnt care.. but thats just terrible.. gota wach your beloved fish friend roll over :S at least the freezer idea you make up your mind then come back a few hrs later and the deeds done :s
Putting a betta in the freezer is very painful. They slowly go through temperature shock while Ice crystals form around their organs. Think of it as a person going into a freezer. You will suffer for awhile with the cold temperature, it will take awhile to die and will be painful waiting.
I prefer clove oil since it works like anesthesia.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #17 
pyro fiend

to each there own ig id put cold water in freezer befor it froze n add them to it so they went into shock firs
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #18 
kfryman

The freezer is not humane, the fish is still alive and is dying by freezing, I don't know about you, but that seems bad... Clove oil works the best, they don't feel it a long as you go slowly with it. Sakura gave me the link to the site, maybe ask her for it.

I had to get my clove oil at a health place. Heads up, your hands and anything that touches the oil will have the strong scent of clove oil.

Also clove oil floats, you need to add a couple drops to a container, shake it very well then pour it in slowly and you also slowly mix the mixture with your hands so it works it way through their system. It is painless if done in small amounts, it will first make them numb, then knock them out, then peaceful death. Also you need to keep them in the mixture for a whike, because they do get knocked out Amir looks like they are dead. I add some alcohol at the end to make sure that they are in fact dead.

Last edited by kfryman; 08-26-2012 at 03:59 PM.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #19 
Bettafish

Last and final goodbyes. I think these last moments are the worst because it reminds me of my dog tarzan. And how i couldnt make him better because the vet didnt know what was wrong with him.
When we euthenized him i did cry. I never cry cry. And i think i repressed those memories so now putting my fish to sleep myself has reopened my memories of him.
And it hurts so bad. its the worst thing to ever happen.
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #20 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Last and final goodbyes. I think these last moments are the worst because it reminds me of my dog tarzan. And how i couldnt make him better because the vet didnt know what was wrong with him.
When we euthenized him i did cry. I never cry cry. And i think i repressed those memories so now putting my fish to sleep myself has reopened my memories of him.
And it hurts so bad. its the worst thing to ever happen.
Aww I'm so sorry